October Fly Tying Contest ~ 4" Minimum! G_Smolt gets the win!!

Which bad ass 4" + streamer is your favorite?????

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Thank you, thank you all.
I'd like to thank the academy, our amazing hosts and hostesses this evening, and all the oversized rainbows long on appetite and short on sense that have eaten the Doug E. Flesh over the years...
🤣
Would you mind sharing some deets on its construction? That looks like a sort of longish shank hook? And how are you attaching it, and is that Dacron backing? Etc

G_Smolt

Legend
@Matt B - The hook is an Umpqua XS415 BN5X, sz1, and the trailer material is doubled 65# spectra. I pass one end through the eye, take 3-4 wraps around the shank, then pass that end through the eye on the opposite side of the original strand - the end result has no "pull bias", as it would if I passed both ends through the "top" or "bottom" of the hookeye.
The body is a magnum rabbit strip, tied into the trailer hook and threaded thru with the spectra in front of the beads. Speaking of beads, they're 8mm.
Front shank is a 35mm Flymen shank with the return loop cut off. The magnum strip is tied in at the end, and a zonker strip is wrapped forward to the eye.

Order of operations would be:
Hook in vise
Attach spectra
Tie in magnum strip
Thread beads on spectra
Thread spectra thru strip
Shank in vise
Attach spectra
Attach magnum strip (vise end of shank)
Tie in and wrap zonker strip
Whip finish
Awesomeness achieved