Oct '23 Gifford Pinchot Lakes part 1

Met up with @Zak for a 5 day camping and fishing trip to the Gifford Pinchot NF. We ended up with perfect weather the whole time - not a guarantee in October, for sure!
Day one, Wed, we met up with @James St. Clair to try for some cutties on a beautiful Yakima County river. James was super cool, and had some nice flies and excellent river-specific advice for us (thanks James, and a pleasure to meet you!) Zak and James picked up a number of small & medium fish on dries/droppers, but I was set on trying to swing up something on a streamer, with naught but a couple half-hearted grabs for my efforts. Still, a gorgeous day in a gorgeous setting with good company, topped off by a final restaurant meal at a local pub before heading to camp on the river for the night.
PXL_20231004_212816089.MP.jpg
Day 2, Zak and I headed towards Mt Adams. After stopping off to ogle the view at Dog Lake
20231005_100244.jpg
we continued on and checked out a few different lakes before settling on an excellent site on "Camp Lake."
20231005_122238.jpg
PXL_20231005_213741008.jpg
PXL_20231005_213813789.jpg
After setting up camp, we had a lunch of salami and cheese sandwiches on cheese bread baked for us by my husband, who had to bail last minute on accompanying us after hurting his back ☹️
20231003_190937.jpg
We then made a quick drive to "Lake X" for an afternoon of fishing. We both picked up a number of pretty, standard rainbows on a variety of wet and dry flies - Zak in his adirondak-style pram/ guideboat, and I in my Hobie.
20231005_152847.jpg
PXL_20231006_001904410.jpg
PXL_20231006_002207981-1.jpg
20231006_151807.jpg
After a while, I switched over to a sinking line to see if I could hunt up one of the rumored lunkers. Went with my confidence fly, a pink bunny streamer that I'll call "Anyanka" (If you're a Buffy fan, you'll get it!)
20231009_200721.jpg
Ten minutes later, this chunk of trout slammed it. As I had my type 5 set up on my 5wt, I had to backpedal over to where Zak was for a net and photo assist!
20231009_123322.jpg
We left as the dying sun lit up Mt Adams in golden October light
20231005_181658.jpg
Back at camp that evening, we enjoyed homemade spaghetti and garlic bread with a few brews by the fire, then retired for the night - Zak to his tent, me to my cot & minivan. Veeeery quiet out there at night!

To be continued: too many pics, I guess?

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Guessing that's the same lake we visited last month when the clouds only gave us a few peeks at the mountain. Also confirmed that I need a canoe, pram, yak, or other lightweight lake vessel. Nice report.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Met up with @Zak for a 5 day camping and fishing trip to the Gifford Pinchot NF. We ended up with perfect weather the whole time - not a guarantee in October, for sure!
Day one, Wed, we met up with @James St. Clair to try for some cutties on a beautiful Yakima County river. James was super cool, and had some nice flies and excellent river-specific advice for us (thanks James, and a pleasure to meet you!) Zak and James picked up a number of small & medium fish on dries/droppers, but I was set on trying to swing up something on a streamer, with naught but a couple half-hearted grabs for my efforts. Still, a gorgeous day in a gorgeous setting with good company, topped off by a final restaurant meal at a local pub before heading to camp on the river for the night.
View attachment 85381
Day 2, Zak and I headed towards Mt Adams. After stopping off to ogle the view at Dog Lake
View attachment 85382
we continued on and checked out a few different lakes before settling on an excellent site on "Camp Lake."
View attachment 85387
View attachment 85383
View attachment 85384
After setting up camp, we had a lunch of salami and cheese sandwiches on cheese bread baked for us by my husband, who had to bail last minute on accompanying us after hurting his back ☹️
View attachment 85385
We then made a quick drive to "Lake X" for an afternoon of fishing. We both picked up a number of pretty, standard rainbows on a variety of wet and dry flies - Zak in his adirondak-style pram/ guideboat, and I in my Hobie.
View attachment 85386
View attachment 85388
View attachment 85389
View attachment 85393
After a while, I switched over to a sinking line to see if I could hunt up one of the rumored lunkers. Went with my confidence fly, a pink bunny streamer that I'll call "Anyanka" (If you're a Buffy fan, you'll get it!)
View attachment 85390
Ten minutes later, this chunk of trout slammed it. As I had my type 5 set up on my 5wt, I had to backpedal over to where Zak was for a net and photo assist!
View attachment 85391
We left as the dying sun lit up Mt Adams in golden October light
View attachment 85392
Back at camp that evening, we enjoyed homemade spaghetti and garlic bread with a few brews by the fire, then retired for the night - Zak to his tent, me to my cot & minivan. Veeeery quiet out there at night!

To be continued: too many pics, I guess?
Holy smokes, that's a toad of a rainbow. I see that @Zak is using your customized fingerless gloves! Great report(s) Leigh!

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Guessing that's the same lake we visited last month when the clouds only gave us a few peeks at the mountain. Also confirmed that I need a canoe, pram, yak, or other lightweight lake vessel. Nice report.
Pretty sure you're correct.
My yak has been a game changer, but Zak's guideboat gets beaucoup points for style!

Zak

Legend
Pretty sure you're correct.
My yak has been a game changer, but Zak's guideboat gets beaucoup points for style!
There was an old guy in a rustic but sweet campsite on Camp Lake who had a very nice, small pack canoe that he paddled with a kayak paddle. I bet that boat was 30-40 pounds, as opposed to my 75lb dory. I chatted with him for a bit. He spends a couple weeks there twice a year. He is now my role model for when I retire.