Ocean Coho Leaders

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Yes, loop a whole new leader with fly attached.

Thread flyline loop thru leader loop, then thread fly and leader thru the flyline loop. I have yet to fish a fly I can't thread thru the flyline loop. Does not apply to monster sized flies.

That’s a completely new method to me.
I’d have to really work at it to get the size flies I like to fish through the fly line loop.
SF

Greggor

'Schooled' by Roy Patrick
Forum Supporter
That’s a completely new method to me.
I’d have to really work at it to get the size flies I like to fish through the fly line loop.
SF
Try it. You might like it! 🙂

Limiting factor for me is just the size of ONE of the dumbbell eyes.

I keep some pre-tied leaders without flies attached just in case. Then, I have to tie one on! 🤪

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Try it. You might like it! 🙂

Limiting factor for me is just the size of ONE of the dumbbell eyes.

I keep some pre-tied leaders without flies attached just in case. Then, I have to tie one on! 🤪

Probably won't as I like to tie up stuff as I go and try not to carry anything more then I have to.
Knowing my luck, the leader will get all tangled up anyway.
If I do use a loop to loop via perfection loops, I put on a section of 25-30 lb fluorocarbon butt section with a perfection loop on both ends. The fluorocarbon on the fly end doesn't dig into the fly line coating.
Lately, rather than adding a perfection loop to the other end of the butt section, I've gone full dirtbag and added a micro swivel via a clinch knot. Same on the other side of the swivel for my leader to the swivel. It has worked out really well and no fish to my knowledge have tried eating my swivel. ;) :ROFLMAO:
SF

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
STS leaders with a dab of Suncure on the knot..go down to longer 12# and flies as small as #6 for fussy King's and have yet to break a leader..what that bendy rod and properly adjusted drag is for..

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Probably won't as I like to tie up stuff as I go and try not to carry anything more then I have to.
If I do use a loop to loop via perfection loops, I put on a section of 25-30 lb fluorocarbon butt section with a perfection loop on both ends. The fluorocarbon on the fly end doesn't dig into the fly line coating.
Lately, rather than adding a perfection loop to the other end of the butt section, I've gone full dirtbag and added a micro swivel via a clinch knot. Same on the other side of the swivel for my leader to the swivel. It has worked out really well and no fish to my knowledge have tried eating my swivel. ;) :ROFLMAO:
SF
You mean there's no room left after packing all of your 2000 clousers? :)
Micro swivel is a good idea, it's like a twist eliminating tippet ring. I want to try it, sometimes a piece of caught salad will spin your fly like crazy.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
When done correctly a loop to loop connection will look like a figure 8. When done incorrectly you’ll have one loop with another lasso’d around it.

I’ve seen a lot of people do the latter. Maybe I’ll whip up a quick video when home
Oh, I see now, thanks. No I don't do it like that, I make them shake hands. I also have heard where some people just tie a clinch knot to the fly line loop.

SF
I do the streamer line swivel thing, too, at times. It is easy and makes a nice clean little connection with a micro swivel.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Yes, loop a whole new leader with fly attached.

Thread flyline loop thru leader loop, then thread fly and leader thru the flyline loop. I have yet to fish a fly I can't thread thru the flyline loop. Does not apply to monster sized flies.
Can't you tie a large loop on the leader, slide it through the fly line loop, then thread your fly though? Same result right?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Micro swivel is a good idea, it's like a twist eliminating tippet ring. I want to try it, sometimes a piece of caught salad will spin your fly like crazy.

Sorry sir, but it is only 1,900 clousers I carry...... :ROFLMAO:

You'll catch some salad on occasion on the swivel, but no more then if looping my leader to my butt section.
I'm liking it so far and the swivels are really small..
SF

Greggor

Forum Supporter
Can't you tie a large loop on the leader, slide it through the fly line loop, then thread your fly though? Same result right?
No, no, no! I hope @Divad will produce that short video. 🙂

Divad

Whitefish
In your example that large loop should then be looped over your reel and pulled taught. But that’s a big a$$ loop then. Better to do it in opposite.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
In your example that large loop should then be looped over your reel and pulled taught. But that’s a big a$$ loop then. Better to do it in opposite.
No, you wouldn't need to do that. It's just like he said, a big loop at the end of the leader butt. Stick the leader butt loop mostly through the fly line loop. Stick the fly through what leader butt loop extends out the fly line loop and tighten.

Greggor

Forum Supporter
It's just like he said, a big loop at the end of the leader butt. Stick the leader butt loop mostly through the fly line loop. Stick the fly through what leader butt loop extends out the fly line loop and tighten.
I like your analogy of two loops shaking hands, others describe it as a figure eight look, when done right. Try the above, and you won't get your desired result. 🙂

Divad

Whitefish
No, you wouldn't need to do that. It's just like he said, a big loop at the end of the leader butt. Stick the leader butt loop mostly through the fly line loop. Stick the fly through what leader butt loop extends out the fly line loop and tighten.
That is a lasso. Sure it’s still a loop to loop connection but not the ideal version.

You should be punching your fly through the fly line loop.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Boy I’m glad you brought this up Greggor! Easily overlooked but can make a nice difference.

Home around 630 and will try to whip up a video.

The most anticipated video since Barbie and Oppenheimer! 😉😂
SF

Greggor

Forum Supporter
I appreciate everyone's contributions to this thread on behalf of the community!

I personally have a few takeaways already for modifications. I hope others might discover some too! 🙂