Not one.....not two....not three.....

Well, I did two better than LeBron with his infamous prediction....I ended up hooking 6 and landing 4 earlier today....

god damn, I feel like my hands are still shaking from what just went down....

IZ19nju.jpg

same fish
e2teM9K.jpg

eye of the tiger
Emkm0yM.jpg

tiger teeth
UDgoldQ.jpg

Nice day out....until the wind picked up
20q7WGl.jpg

🍻

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I'm actually wishing I would have measured AND weighed the last one (pictured above) as it very nearly kicked my ass and was thicker than any of the others (tough to tell in the pic) but man, when I'm fishing solo, I'm mostly just trying to get them back into the water ASAP.

I had to bend back the hook on that fly twice plus several re-sharpenings....

How were the takes on the various hook-ups?
Out at a distance, close in or on the figure 8?
SF

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
about half of the eats were visual. None right at the boat, but the first one was about 10-15' out. Fish appeared from its tree branch and after one hard strip, just shot out and annihilated the fly. One of my missed fish ate while I was just waiting for it to sink a little bit....the line just went tight (I have no idea how that didn't stick--those are the ones that usually do). The little one came rocketing up from a rocky ledge and destroyed the fly in full view. They were absolutely on it!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Diggin' the avatar change. I can tell you're seriously stoked. Fun to see.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
So rad to see you get into em like this! We all see the work you put into it and I'm sure there are plenty of days of just casting.

The burning question I have, however, is which of your dope ass flies did they eat?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
So rad to see you get into em like this! We all see the work you put into it and I'm sure there are plenty of days of just casting.

The burning question I have, however, is which of your dope ass flies did they eat?
Appreciate the kind words. I'll post it up here, but I also posted over on the "what's catching you fish" thread. I had the hook bend out twice (they were already in the net, and I was fighting for position) and resharpened several times as well. I think I've mentioned previously why I love the Ahrex TP605 so much is that it starts out super sticky sharp yet is also super easy to resharpen to in incredibly sharp hook.

If this was a B10S, it probably would have done earlier since they're harder to resharpen.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Appreciate the kind words. I'll post it up here, but I also posted over on the "what's catching you fish" thread. I had the hook bend out twice (they were already in the net, and I was fighting for position) and resharpened several times as well. I think I've mentioned previously why I love the Ahrex TP605 so much is that it starts out super sticky sharp yet is also super easy to resharpen to in incredibly sharp hook.

If this was a B10S, it probably would have done earlier since they're harder to resharpen.
Somehow I missed that! Aside from the hook, did the materials hold up well? Hooking six of those would have to be considered upper end stress testing.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Please share the GPS coordinates for this spot. Not so I can fish it, but so I can make sure my family doesn't swim there! 😲
I nailed a big one, right in front of the swimming area, with people in the water. They were all a little taken aback when it did a full breach.

And then they went back to their previously scheduled programming.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Somehow I missed that! Aside from the hook, did the materials hold up well? Hooking six of those would have to be considered upper end stress testing.
yep. I usually glue every several steps. The standard Ahrex Trout Predator probably wouldn't have bent out, but I like a thinner wire hook (easier to bury the hook) and all of the bend-outs were totally my fault since the fish were already in the net and it was from trying to reposition using the line/hook.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
yep. I usually glue every several steps. The standard Ahrex Trout Predator probably wouldn't have bent out, but I like a thinner wire hook (easier to bury the hook) and all of the bend-outs were totally my fault since the fish were already in the net and it was from trying to reposition using the line/hook.
What do you use for tippet/leader?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
What do you use for tippet/leader?

A nice discussion on that subject here:

EBT

Smolt
Well, I did two better than LeBron with his infamous prediction....I ended up hooking 6 and landing 4 earlier today....

god damn, I feel like my hands are still shaking from what just went down....

IZ19nju.jpg

same fish
e2teM9K.jpg

eye of the tiger
Emkm0yM.jpg

tiger teeth
UDgoldQ.jpg

Nice day out....until the wind picked up
20q7WGl.jpg

🍻
The first photo may be one of the best grip'n'grins ever!