Northwest Territories

The return to Great Slave Lake, east arm near Lutselk’e. I learned from last years trip and came with a better understanding of what I was in for, and how to prepare.
Bigger flies and a Cortland compact s9 to get me a bit deeper for the lake trout. I also came better prepared for the grayling fishing as well. We did a little pike fishing, but that can be done in many places, and shallow water lakers is what I come for.

IMG_2243.jpeg

There was definitely smoke and haze from the fires, but it really only impacted the views of the incredible landscape. I’m glad I have seen it in much better conditions. I am still amazed at how everywhere you go on the lake is so different. Mostly looked at rocks and plants at shore lunch.

IMG_2260.jpeg

IMG_2261.jpeg

IMG_2273.jpeg

We had one incredibly foggy morning that turned into the clearest air day of our trip. Trust in our guide and the equipment got us to our destination on a “glass” day. Mostly days of some wind and chop out there.

IMG_2310.jpeg

IMG_2318.jpeg

IMG_2315.jpeg

IMG_2319.jpeg

More to come…fishing and wildlife

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
Last year my best fish was 15 pounds and came on the last day.

20230729173425_IMG_1908.jpeg

First half day of fishing, a 16 pound “red fin” ate on the strip. You can see how happy that made me. We caught a bunch of fish, most in the 6-10 pound range, quite a few in the low teens, and were doubled up 10’s of times per day.

PXL_20230801_201520591.jpeg

20230804150309_IMG_2003.jpeg

I had hoped to see a 20 pound fish, not a given on the fly. Expectations were exceeded with a long thin 26 pounder
20230730121550_IMG_1925.jpeg

One of the more satisfying moments was my fishing partner’s personal best lake trout of 19 pound on a fly that I tied!
20230804123007_IMG_1994.jpeg
Plus he loves the “red fins”

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
We saw musk ox on all but one day. Even saw them swim across a channel to an island.
IMG_2295.jpeg

Porcupine at the lodge loved the Saskatoon berries.
IMG_2283.jpeg

One shy moose, plenty of bald eagles and loons, osprey, a couple cranes, shore birds, arctic terns, and of course gulls galore. Gull party equals lakers on a popper for my fishing partner, and numbers for me.
I highly recommend the trip to Frontier if you can. Well run lodge with excellent staff. I am going to miss our guide, he has been awesome, but moving into his career after this season.

IMG_2329.jpeg

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Epic! Wow, that 26 pounder looks like a brute. Maybe an old buck skinny from spawning? And that is a great grayling. And how cool is it that your buddy had his PB on your fly!
This trip might have to go on my dream list.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the great report, the geology of the area is fascinating and beautiful; the fish are even better!

alpinetrout

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
That's cool. I fished a little bit up around Inuvik at the end of July and it was so hot up there that we saw grayling doing the death spiral in creeks that appeared to be flowing at maybe 1/4 of what they should have been.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
That's cool. I fished a little bit up around Inuvik at the end of July and it was so hot up there that we saw grayling doing the death spiral in creeks that appeared to be flowing at maybe 1/4 of what they should have been.
Grayling are somewhat fragile, you know pretty quickly if you have mistreated one. Water temps were mid 50’s but low level. They were definitely in fast water and not to be found in the slow or slack water.

You also see them in the shallows of the lake, but if out on the lake I am geared up for lakers!

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I remember reading about GSL in Field & Stream when I was a kid…great trip…
Highly recommend the trip. You are in a national park when out on the east arm of the lake. Frontier is owned by the First Nation people of Lutselk’e. It is well run, good food and good staff. They offer more than just fishing, and the scenery on the lake is incredible. It is huge body of water, and you are on the small portion.