Northern ID vs NW MT in early April?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yes, you are thinking of the right river. There are a number of other small rivers/spring creeks just outside of Bend. Worth a look at. I will let the Oregon fisher people help you out there if you are interested... Might also check out some local fly shops for info:

Edit: Main reason I brought it up is it is within driving distance, a number of choices for smaller water, decent fishing, beautiful area and at least 25 breweries nearby and lots of good restaurants too.

Unfortunately at that time the only rivers open are the met, parts of the D (not the small water), the fall, the crooked (but who knows what it’s going to look like after last summer) and the mckenzie. The smaller streams don’t open till late May.

With that being said, it’s a good time to be on the water

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
That’s an option but IMO there is an as good or better option in that area that time of year, especially if you are interested in fishing skwalas. Not a secret. So bitter sweet I have not been able to fish it pre-runnoff in over a decade at this point ;).
Better than Rock Creek? I don't know how that's possible. :)

Unfortunately at that time the only rivers open are the met, parts of the D (not the small water), the fall, the crooked (but who knows what it’s going to look like after last summer) and the mckenzie. The smaller streams don’t open till late May.

With that being said, it’s a good time to be on the water
Yeah that was what I remembered reading awhile back, but I didn't dive too deeply into the regs beyond the D.
So bitter sweet
If a guy was interested in the smaller sections of said bittersweet waters, do you think it would be worth a trip out of the way? I know during the summers its worth it.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Yeah that was what I remembered reading awhile back, but I didn't dive too deeply into the regs beyond the D.

If a guy was interested in the smaller sections of said bittersweet waters, do you think it would be worth a trip out of the way? I know during the summers its worth it.

Back when I fished that river pre-runoff, I was in school full time and working so I was stuck close to Missoula. If it’s open, I imagine it is worth a shot though.