North Umpqua closed 'til Dec 1

That is great we need to save our fish any way we can even at the expense of our enjoyment.Its funny how Odfw has no problem closing some rivers and others can never close even at the expense of the fish.there are several southern costal river where you can get a special tag to harvest wild Steelhead .there should be no harvest of wild fish ,they are to special

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
That is great we need to save our fish any way we can even at the expense of our enjoyment.Its funny how Odfw has no problem closing some rivers and others can never close even at the expense of the fish.there are several southern costal river where you can get a special tag to harvest wild Steelhead .there should be no harvest of wild fish ,they are to special.

Closing rivers worked great to save upper Columbia steelhead.

Totally misguided idea.. let people fish empty rivers if they want.. they are not doing any harm to the survival of the run.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Closing rivers worked great to save upper Columbia steelhead.

Totally misguided idea.. let people fish empty rivers if they want.. they are not doing any harm to the survival of the run.
Especially when I just came back from down and had hoped to fish the mornings for trout. Fortunately, the announcement came out before I packed the rig up, so no rods left the hangers.. 😩

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
If you really want to get angry have a read:
Winchester Dam Repairs Begin Despite Permitting Irregularities, Collapsing Summer Steelhead Run, and Fears of Another Fish Kill

Winchester Dam needs to go...massive impacts on the river system to benefit very few.
I've never fished the N. Umpqua - I read about this wonderful river years ago (and a few famous fly anglers rocking holes to move or excite steelhead). Sad to read about its decline (mirrors pretty much all the rivers on the western lower 48?). An old college buddy lives in a campground somewhere up this river, I should go visit Mike and get his feel on the changes.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My first steelhead came from that river in the camp water. My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon at the Steamboat Inn. It’s a magical place and river. Today is our 34th anniversary. I’ve been thinking about another trip there but guess it will have to wait. Hopefully it will reopen someday when we can make another trip and stay at the inn.

Last edited:

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My first steelhead came from that river in the camp water. My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon at the Steamboat Inn. It’s a magical place and river. Today is our 34th anniversary. I’ve been thinking about another trip there but guess it will have to wait. Hopefully it will reopen someday when we can make another trip and stay at the inn.
going to have dinner at Steamboat Thursday night and a few more times this summer/fall. These shutdowns can't be good for their business. Will probably walk down the path and look for fish in the river... I think that's still legal as long as I don't stare at the native fish for too long.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
going to have dinner at Steamboat Thursday night and a few more times this summer/fall. These shutdowns can't be good for their business. Will probably walk down the path and look for fish in the river... I think that's still legal as long as I don't stare at the native fish for too long.
Heard they are closing Steamboat CG to conduct a fish survey .

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Stop by Archie creek and see of there is a fish in the tailout for me. :)

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
Afraid not much of the trail is open…
Last years fire