Non ethanol gas isn't cheap!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I should probably be happy that I've got a station just down the road form my house.

How much is it where you live? Can you even find it?

1690651993744.png

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I run the ethanol free 92 octane in the MG, and paid almost $5.60 two weeks ago here in Walla Walla. It only holds 7 gallons and gets 32mpg in the city, so I don't mind. But the 18 gal of regular premium I put in the Volvo is only a dime less most places. I think they have been going up though, I'll find out, I need to fill up on my way out.

Last edited:

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
We have it , I don’t buy it , never found the need . Not sure what it is here in Utah .

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Couple of places in Spokane have it. I don't pay much attention to the cost because I only use it to fill up before putting the bikes up for winter. Makes a big difference in maintaining carburetor function in older vehicles. It's also more expensive because it's only available in premium blend.

I started using it when a MC shop manager told me he was having to rebuild carbs every year on his dirt bikes until he started storing them over the winter with alcohol free fuel.

In the fall I see strings of Spokane's classic cars and hotrods filling up with the stuff for winter storage.

Last edited:

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
I should probably be happy that I've got a station just down the road form my house.

How much is it where you live? Can you even find it?

View attachment 75074
This is way cheaper than my options here in Kitsap. The Shell in Port Orchard has 92 ethanol free for over $7/gal. The other small gas station in Olalla that has ethanol free 92 is $6.39/gal. Chevron in Kingston was also about the same.

I've been seriously considering switching to standard fuel even for my 2 stroke outboard.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Makes a big difference in maintaining carburetor function in older vehicles.
This is my only use for it. An older outboard. So it's not like I'm spending a ton on the gas. But still, per gallon...oof.

krusty

Forum Supporter
This is my only use for it. An older outboard. So it's not like I'm spending a ton on the gas. But still, per gallon...oof.
A pittance compared to carb rebuilds...and it's getting difficult to find mechanics that know how to do so. Most MC shops won't even do any work on motorcycles that are 15-20 years old.

JayB

Steelhead
A pittance compared to carb rebuilds...and it's getting difficult to find mechanics that know how to do so. Most MC shops won't even do any work on motorcycles that are 15-20 years old.
Was enough of a pain trying to find someone to do the 3-year/300hr service on my little E-Tec that I just picked up a bootleg copy of the diagnostics software and a shop manual and did it myself.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Was enough of a pain trying to find someone to do the 3-year/300hr service on my little E-Tec that I just picked up a bootleg copy of the diagnostics software and a shop manual and did it myself.
Yup...and finding somebody who will (or can) do work on a 6 carb 24 year old Valkyrie is extremely difficult. Fortunately had a total rebuild 3 years ago.

Last edited:

krusty

Forum Supporter
I don't blame the shops...someone comes in with an old piece of equipment...the shop does the repair (shop hourly rates ain't cheap) and the customer shits his pants about what it cost and tells them to keep it....and it has a market value far less than the repair bill. The mechanics who once rebuilt carbs are long retired. A new tech would have to spend a lot of hours just figuring out how to do it.

Wareagle

Ducks and Trout
You should run non ethanol gas in all your small engines such as lawn mower ,weed eater, blower, chainsaw, etc. I used to have issues when I would go to fire something up after sitting awhile and have to take them to my small engine mechanic. He finally told me to use non ethanol in anything not continually be used regularly. Bingo, no more issues. Fell sorry for him as he no longer earns money repairing my stuff every year.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
We have it , I don’t buy it , never found the need . Not sure what it is here in Utah .

My dad would have a wintertime monthly running of all the small motors when we were kids. Standing by the shed with the 2 strokes running was cool, chainsaws at full throttle was awesome. I don't think he ever needed any work done on the small motors.

Divad

Whitefish
Check various reservations, one down here sells ethanol free for less cannot remember the price but I think it was mid 5s.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
All my small engines get it. Prices are usually between $5-6 a gallon.
There is a station near Henry's Lake Idaho that sells nothing but E-free gas and charges the same price as other stations do for ethanol laden gas. So yes, we are being ripped off. Plus it's an extra dollar a gallon cheaper there to begin with!