No Beads

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I tried to channel my inner MGTom today and swing some flies…

- Black and peacock
- Wooly bugger
- Black nose dace
- Grey hackle peacock
- Guides choice hare’s ear
- Random shit out of desperation

After 2 hours and a lot of water covered, I only had one fish in the net. It was time to switch to euro nymphing a mop fly. I proceeded to pull 4 out one hole, before losing my (only) mop fly in a tree and deciding to go home. 😂

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I tried to channel my inner MGTom today and swing some flies…

- Black and peacock
- Wooly bugger
- Black nose dace
- Grey hackle peacock
- Guides choice hare’s ear
- Random shit out of desperation

After 2 hours and a lot of water covered, I only had one fish in the net. It was time to switch to euro nymphing a mop fly. I proceeded to pull 4 out one hole, before losing my (only) mop fly in a tree and deciding to go home. 😂
I didn't do real well with those flies the other day either. The water just seemed to suit a tightline presentation better. Time and place for each. Glad you found a way to get it done.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I’m certain that my (lack of) skill was actually the main variable. 😂
Maybe, however, the other day I had an 8' rod w/ dry line and Irafly was tightline nymphing with a 10' rod. In a pool, or run with more uniform depth, I did OK with my rig. In the higher gradient flows, riffles and pocket water I was having trouble getting the drift I wanted. I noticed how quickly my flies picked up drag or unnatural pulling of the flies versus the controlled contact drift, too many cross currents to let the line sit on the water for the best drift. I had the ESN rod in the car and should have switched, but I was really learning so much watching and comparing. Not all water suits all flies or presentations equally.

Last edited: