NFR NFR Photo monopod trekking poles

Non-fishing related

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Does anyone have recommendations for a trekking pole that can double as a camera or binocular monopod? Here's the catch: it's for my 5-9 wife, and it needs to hold the camera at eye level. All of the ones I've seen only come up to about 4 or 5 feet max. Thanks!

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Does anyone have recommendations for a trekking pole that can double as a camera or binocular monopod? Here's the catch: it's for my 5-9 wife, and it needs to hold the camera at eye level. All of the ones I've seen only come up to about 4 or 5 feet max. Thanks!
Phil, when I return home early next week I may have exactly what you need. I have a barely used Manfrotto/Bogen monopod, three section, with wrist strap that I hardly used. It has lived in 4 different zip codes and needs a new home. I have yet to use it in the last three. I’m 6’1” so I know it would work. Maybe trade for 3 flies and a slightly used “bobber”.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
The problem is that trekking poles aren't designed to be as high because nobody has arms that would be positioned at 5ft plus. So she'll either need to trek with a photo monopod (which may or may not hold up to that) or use trekking poles with a camera mount, and crouch down a bit.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
@VAGABOND that sounds great. I have bobbers of varying vintage that may appeal to you. Thanks.

@Josh that’s the tension I’m dealing with. She has back problems, which makes leaning down problematic. I was thinking she could use it hiking length, and then stretch it to take pictures. If not, she’ll just have to angle the lcd on the camera.

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If she has a trekking pole she likes, it should be fairly easy to install a threaded camera mount insert to the top of the grip.

You'd be surprised at some requests I've had:

cigar holder (seriously...)

cigar holder staff 4.jpg

gun rest

shooting rest 1.jpg

Last edited:

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
If she has a trekking pole she likes, it should be fairly easy to install a threaded camera mount insert to the top of the grip.

You'd be surprised at some requests I've had:

cigar holder (seriously...)

View attachment 45232

gun rest

View attachment 45234

I was actually looking at some of the rifle rest monopods, since they tend to be taller. I should look at some to see if they use a standard threaded insert.

Otter

Steelhead
Phil, here's an idea:
IMG-9288.jpg

IMG-9290.jpg

IMG-9292.jpg

Most people who see this on my walks ask "How's fishing?"

My woodworking genius friend made this for me, using a lathe and some other tools. He made the "fly line" look real by holding a tool against the spinning wood until it burnt. He has made a few varieties of these monopods, with different removeable tops, such as a shooting rest from an antler fork.

Maybe there's someone in your neck of the woods who could make something similar. If not, I could ask my friend if he would make one for your lady. He's up here in B.C.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Phil, here's an idea:
View attachment 45248

View attachment 45249

View attachment 45250

Most people who see this on my walks ask "How's fishing?"

My woodworking genius friend made this for me, using a lathe and some other tools. He made the "fly line" look real by holding a tool against the spinning wood until it burnt. He has made a few varieties of these monopods, with different removeable tops, such as a shooting rest from an antler fork.

Maybe there's someone in your neck of the woods who could make something similar. If not, I could ask my friend if he would make one for your lady. He's up here in B.C.
That's a great idea, more of a wizard staff than a trekking pole

cdnred

Life of the Party
Most treking poles vary from around 4-5 ft extended length with even monopods ranging from 5-5.6 ft extended length. Your best bet is to find or make an extension about 12" long to bring it up to required height that she'd feel comfortable with. I'd think that a monopod would be the better option since it would be much sturdier for mounting a camera. This monopod on Amazon would be a good choice since it even offers a stable 3 foot base mount (removable) for stablizing the camera better. Max length is 65" so you may still need an extension to allow for some adjustment. If she is 5'-9" (69") it may even be the right height that see needs. With back problems, just a few inches will cause some pain and discomfort over time. Bringing up to eye level without having to stoop even for a few inches would be her best bet..

Amazon product ASIN B0B11MX676

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Phil, this monopod has an adjustable height from (visualizing here) 2.5’-5.75’ unfortunatelyit doesn’t come with the recently released Gitzo Duckhead Ball Mount. 😄 Man, I wish I had one of those. Just think, The Karma!
Both of my Gitzo heads have served me so well I’ve never seen the need to upgrade. Each section has secure locks.
It is not the newer carbon fiber model, a 3 weight say, it’s a heavier duty metal 7 weight. I used it, barely, with a Rollei 6008i but found the combo to cumbersome to haul around.
I’ll even include a leather reel bag to cover the head so when trekking the high country her hand will not be affected in any way.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Phil, this monopod has an adjustable height from (visualizing here) 2.5’-5.75’ unfortunatelyit doesn’t come with the recently released Gitzo Duckhead Ball Mount. 😄 Man, I wish I had one of those. Just think, The Karma!
Both of my Gitzo heads have served me so well I’ve never seen the need to upgrade. Each section has secure locks.
It is not the newer carbon fiber model, a 3 weight say, it’s a heavier duty metal 7 weight. I used it, barely, with a Rollei 6008i but found the combo to cumbersome to haul around.
I’ll even include a leather reel bag to cover the head so when trekking the high country her hand will not be affected in any way.
This is so generous, and I’ll gladly take you up on it. PM on the way.