NFR NFL 2023 Season

Non-fishing related

Divad

Whitefish
Can anybody explain the final seconds clock management? With two timeouts and 35 seconds left why wouldn’t you call a timeout to give yourself multiple play attempts?

Andy Reid let the clock rundown to 9 seconds before hiking the ball and luckily getting the touchdown pass completion. But if that was dropped it would have been a FG to only tie.

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Can anybody explain the final seconds clock management? With two timeouts and 35 seconds left why wouldn’t you call a timeout to give yourself multiple play attempts?

Andy Reid let the clock rundown to 9 seconds before hiking the ball and luckily getting the touchdown pass completion. But if that was dropped it would have been a FG to only tie.
Maybe he was still shaken up after being 'Happy Gilmore'd' by Kelce?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

They would have gone to the second quarter of OT just like a regular game, so the clock didn’t matter.
SF

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

I'm guessing so the defense couldn't sub or plan. The TD play was perfect, unless he drops it. And even then, they kick the chip shot to tie. I'm with you though. That was crazy.

The bigger question is why didn't Shanahan use his timeouts in the 1st half? He could have gotten the ball with about 45 seconds left instead of 20. In a game that tight you can't give away opportunities.

tkww

Steelhead
They would have gone to the second quarter of OT just like a regular game, so the clock didn’t matter.
SF
Correct. Romo pointed this out in the commentary: because this game can't end in a tie, if the clock runs out, they just do another 15 minute period. But they wouldn't have gotten more time outs. Basically they have to treat it like it's the 1st (or 3rd) quarter, not like it's the regular season OT.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Sometimes I am up at 3am....to go pee.

Oh, I'm up at 11:00, 1:00 an 2:00 for that - what happens when you have a prostate the size of a grapefruit; sumthin' to look forward to all you young gents.

Cheers

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
OK, should we (I?) start a new thread - "Countdown to 3pete"?

Go Chiefs!!!!!!

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
Congratulations Chris, that was a great game. A lot mistakes all around, but the better team won today.
Thanks so much, I cheered like a true champion but I couldn't have done it alone, the wife cheered a hell of a game - made all the difference :)

Chiefs for the 3pete!!!!

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
The Chiefs receiving the trophy from Elway in the Raider's stadium was a fantastic cap to it all, how sweet, HA!!!

Go 3Pete

BDD

Steelhead
I did not actually see the presentation but I was sure I briefly saw Elway in the background at one point. I could not figure out why he'd be there or if it was really him. Now I know.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
The bigger question is why didn't Shanahan use his timeouts in the 1st half?
According to the 49rs fan forum, it's because he is a dumbass loser, who can't call plays or make good decisions in big games and should be fired...but that's probably just the fans venting after the 49rs blew another double digit lead to lose another Super Bowl.
Last 8 trips to the NFC Championship game have produced 0 SB wins for the 49rs...so fans are thinking blow up the team and start over.
🤣😅🤣
😁

San Francisco Bills....

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I called it! ;) We live in the Mahomes era. It is what it is.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
I found the best seat ever for a Super Bowl yesterday-in a comfy bed in an ER. I was only interrupted a few times- to go for an x-ray, then CT scan, then eventually a doctor to find out I had a big gallstone instead of something far worse..starting with kidney stones (I'm just an internet doctor so not sure what is worse, actually).

Most peaceful Super Bowl in a long time=actually ever ! Got settled in during the late 1st quarter. They even IV'd some pain killer about halftime (didn't need I felt, but you don't argue with who's house is throwing the party).
Only thing that was bad was that they kicked me out right when the Chiefs were down 3 and driving late in the 4th quarter.

I had to ask someone at the store later who won the game.

Last edited: