NFR NFL 2023 Season

Non-fishing related

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I wouldn't go that far, but that was a bit of insubordination & poor judgement by Winston. That's almost more of an indictment on that coach and how little the players respect him. Of course, all that said, if there's one player that would do that, that goof is at the top of the list.

Maybe Cleveland should trade for him....except, that's probably not egregious enough for them.
I’d go that far. The victory formation is to take a knee and let the clock run out, without getting anyone hurt. If you want to run the ball in, line up and run a play…otherwise if you line up in the victory formation, would it be ok for a linebacker to hurl himself over the line and submarine the qb?…of course not …

RCF

Life of the Party
Like that you have the Chiefs in the SB, I myself have serious doubts, but sure hope you are right - I think overall, the Ravens are the team to beat, and not sure anyone can.

Go Chiefs!!!

... and what the hell is the only on X#@*&$## Peacock BS about !!!!!!
With DirecTV contractual dispute with Tegna (no NBC local channel) and Peacock I only get to watch 3 games this weekend...

Wild-card round (all times Eastern)​

Saturday, Jan. 13
  • Game 1: Cleveland Browns at Houston Texans, 4:30 p.m. (NBC)
  • Game 2: Miami Dolphins at Kansas City Chiefs, 8 p.m. (Peacock)
Sunday, Jan. 14
  • Game 3: Pittsburgh Steelers at Buffalo Bills, 1 p.m. (CBS)
  • Game 4: Green Bay Packers at Dallas Cowboys, 4:30 p.m. (Fox)
  • Game 5: Los Angeles Rams at Detroit Lions, 8 p.m. (NBC)
Monday, Jan. 15
  • Game 6: Philadelphia Eagles at Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 8 p.m. (ABC, ESPN)

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin

Jameis for this interview, winning.

What's crazy is looking at internet comments, even on sites where the readership is sports-nerd savvy, and seeing the number of idiot people who are like "Crybaby Falcons! Don't want them to score, then stop them!"

And generally, I have no patience for people upset about "running up the score" or "celebrating after a home run" type unwritten rules in pro sports. This is a job. These are professionals. If you don't want people to celebrate home runs, throw better pitches. If you don't want to lose by 4 touchdowns, then stop letting the other team score. Mercy rules are for kids leagues.

The issue is doing it out of the Victory/kneeldown formation. V formation is an agreement between everyone that nobody is going to try hard or do anything that might cause someone to get injured. If you want to run up the score to get your boy a TD, that's fine by me. But stand up and do it like men. Set up a real play. Would sure be funny to see Jamis and those dudes take it in the jaw the next time they try to kneel down and end a game. Be real interesting to see what happens at the next Falcons game.

But you know the NFL, a QB will get hurt, the defensive players will all get fined for it and then we'll have to hear 6 months of debate about if teams should allow coaches to throw a white "surrender" flag when the game is out of hand. But the TV contracts won't allow it so we'll just end up with more of the same.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Sure, it seemed pretty lame, but it's not like Winston is out the sexually assaulting 20+ women or beating his kid so hard that some bones are breaking. He's just a goof....

RCF

Life of the Party
"teams should allow coaches to throw a white "surrender" flag when the game is out of hand. But the TV contracts won't allow it so we'll just end up with more of the same."

It is all about the $$$$$... Why would an advertiser want to purchase commercial time in the 4th quarter knowing it may not get shown (TV carrier switches a to a different game) or viewership is reduced due to game ending early?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Sure, it seemed pretty lame, but it's not like Winston is out the sexually assaulting 20+ women or beating his kid so hard that some bones are breaking. He's just a goof....

Well, there's no child abuse. So I will award you partial credit.

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 1.32.13 PM.png

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
"teams should allow coaches to throw a white "surrender" flag when the game is out of hand. But the TV contracts won't allow it so we'll just end up with more of the same."

It is all about the $$$$$... Why would an advertiser want to purchase commercial time in the 4th quarter knowing it may not get shown (TV carrier switches a to a different game) or viewership is reduced due to game ending early?
They could spend the rest of the TV time practicing their TD and first down celebration dances.

Reactions: RCF

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Seattle's Oline was 26th in pass block win rate. Geno was the 4th most pressured QB in the game, but was below league average in taking sacks.

Geno broke the record for most game-winning touchdowns in the 4th quarter in league history (helped in part by the defense who couldn't stop anything, thus, putting them in the position to need him to do that).

If you guys wonder why I always am scratching my head at the Geno comments, I feel like we weren't watching the same games.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I’d go that far. The victory formation is to take a knee and let the clock run out, without getting anyone hurt.
Karma is patient. And She doesn't forget. Or forgive.

RCF

Life of the Party
Seattle's Oline was 26th in pass block win rate. Geno was the 4th most pressured QB in the game, but was below league average in taking sacks.

Geno broke the record for most game-winning touchdowns in the 4th quarter in league history (helped in part by the defense who couldn't stop anything, thus, putting them in the position to need him to do that).

If you guys wonder why I always am scratching my head at the Geno comments, I feel like we weren't watching the same games.
For me, I think it is the style of play that Geno is allowed to do. PC and his design/style of offense limits what can be accomplished (along with the porosity of O line).

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Geno is a competant professional QB at the very worst. It is nearly impossible to point to him as any sort of problem.
Hard to understand Geno hate. He does a lot of things right and very few wrong.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
What's crazy is looking at internet comments, even on sites where the readership is sports-nerd savvy, and seeing the number of idiot people who are like "Crybaby Falcons! Don't want them to score, then stop them!"

And generally, I have no patience for people upset about "running up the score" or "celebrating after a home run" type unwritten rules in pro sports. This is a job. These are professionals. If you don't want people to celebrate home runs, throw better pitches. If you don't want to lose by 4 touchdowns, then stop letting the other team score. Mercy rules are for kids leagues.

The issue is doing it out of the Victory/kneeldown formation. V formation is an agreement between everyone that nobody is going to try hard or do anything that might cause someone to get injured. If you want to run up the score to get your boy a TD, that's fine by me. But stand up and do it like men. Set up a real play. Would sure be funny to see Jamis and those dudes take it in the jaw the next time they try to kneel down and end a game. Be real interesting to see what happens at the next Falcons game.

But you know the NFL, a QB will get hurt, the defensive players will all get fined for it and then we'll have to hear 6 months of debate about if teams should allow coaches to throw a white "surrender" flag when the game is out of hand. But the TV contracts won't allow it so we'll just end up with more of the same.
Four paragraphs, and not one mention of insubordination ? I believe in the chain of command. He was given a play to run , you run that play , game’s won , it’s done .

It’s not like he’s running a play , and reading the defense , and changes the play at the line of scrimmage. I’d cut the guy , no problem. That guy doesn’t need a touchdown, if he didn’t get one in the other 16 games so be it , play better.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Geno Smith is a serviceable QB. He is the 4th best QB in the NFC WEST though. This is the problem.