NFR NFL 2023 Season

Non-fishing related

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Andy Reid finally got a QB equal to his talents. Now, the game is to keep the roster stocked and balanced.
Reid has improved as a coach. He is better at clock management. He has embraced the run game more.
Having a QB certainly helps. He got to superbowls and a bunch of championship games with QB' like McNabb, Garcia Alex Smith. No coach in the modern NFL is going to win without a QB.
Good for Reid. Good for Mahomes. They don't look like they are going to break up soon. The AFC runs through KC. Imo the only QB close to Mahomes stratosphere is Burrow. Problem is that he is to tough for his own good. Not sure he can stay healthy taking hits like that.
Congrats KC.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
If I were Mahomes and Kelce I would hand over all my game money to the guy that blocked the PAT.

Here's my take as a Chiefs fan on the missed PAT - all that did was extend the an already great game to an even greater overtime game; if the PAT had not been missed, then the Chiefs would have scored a touchdown for the win with 3 seconds left rather than a game-tying field goal with 3 seconds left - and that's my take on it, as a Chiefs fan.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
great game? it didn't even really start until the third was almost over. prior to that, it was quite a snoozefest.

great game? nope! great ending? I'll give you that.

I learned a lot from the game.

All the Lions need now is a pair of good edge rushers and a hot girl friend!

Unfortunately, it also conditioned me to avert my eyes every time Travis Kelce made a play to avoid the inevitable follow-up shot. Yeesh!😈

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Here's my take as a Chiefs fan on the missed PAT - all that did was extend the an already great game to an even greater overtime game; if the PAT had not been missed, then the Chiefs would have scored a touchdown for the win with 3 seconds left rather than a game-tying field goal with 3 seconds left - and that's my take on it, as a Chiefs fan.
Did the 49ers have an undrafted rookie CB from Southern Alabama? Cuz if they did, maybe you don't score.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I agree Chris. The only way the 49ers win is if they converted on that last drive in regulation, continue driving, and scored while running out the clock. You give Pat the ball back and the games over. If they were down by 4, he would of scored a TD.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
So why didn't they just score the touchdown instead of the field goal and win the game right then and there?

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
So why didn't they just score the touchdown instead of the field goal and win the game right then and there?

I will admit, the field goal was a more sure thing, but if they were 4 behind, then they would have had to go for the TD, and my money would have been on success. It was second down, they were just outside the 10 yd line, 6 seconds on the clock, might have even had 2 tries at it - and that's my take on it, as a Chiefs fan.

Go 3Peat

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Had to laugh out loud at the outfit and antics of Jason Kelce both in the A list suite and the after party. The guy does know how to have fun. Apparently after talking to Adam Sandler he remarked to Taylor Swift, in his usual self deprecating fashion, that he had nothing to offer the folks there and could not believe who he was watching the game with. At that point Taylor told him to turn around. When he did, there standing just behind him, was Sir Paul McCartney. Girl does have some friends.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I will admit, the field goal was a more sure thing, but if they were 4 behind, then they would have had to go for the TD, and my money would have been on success. It was second down, they were just outside the 10 yd line, 6 seconds on the clock, might have even had 2 tries at it - and that's my take on it, as a Chiefs fan.

Go 3Peat
I understand what you are saying. You believe in the Chiefs for good reason.

As someone who watched David Tyree pin a ball to his helmet while being hit by Rodney Harrison, Jermaine Kearse have a tipped ball fall in his lap at the 3 yard line, Mario Manningham make a catch in uber-tight coverage (great throw Eli), and that Clement "catch"...........

Enjoy having a team with the best QB and coach simultaneously. Don't forget how good the opposition is in games that end with a hat and a t-short though. It can all change in an instant in those big games.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
In other sad news 9er defensive coordinator Steve Wilks was terminated today.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Kyle Shanahan is the common theme of losing 10 point leads in the three biggest games he’s coached. Not his defensive coordinator.
Held Mahomes to 12 points in regulation, if you don't count the botched punt return, and 19 if you do. That's a good defensive performance.
Somebody had to be fired by Shanahan to fix the blame for his lousy offensive play calling.
🤣

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Here are my belated Super Bowl 58 hot takes.

I've been on the road lately and enjoyed the game amongst strangers. Some were clearly over zealous 9er fans and I lost my appetite. :) sorry, couldn't resist.
17077163561361.png
The game itself was very entertaining during the second half. Both good teams playing very hard, but only one had the elite special quarterback. Mahomes did it all with his arm and his feet, he was masterful. The Chiefs defense was solid, the classic bend - don't break. The 9ers defense was good too (kudos to Bosa, Armstead, Hargrave, Ward, etc), but not great though in the 4th quarter. I guess that's why Steve Wilks got canned today. Shanny overruled his cover zero call late in the game, but it didn't help much against Mahomes.
super-bowl-memes15.jpg
Christian McCaffery played well, despite the early fumble. He is a great player, a warrior. By the 4th quarter he looked exhausted and bruised up by the Chief's defense. I don't think more could have been asked if him.
20240212_134411.jpg
Purdy was serviceable, but not spectacular. No big mistakes and no remarkable plays. The usual 9er weapons Deebo, Aiyuk, and especially Kittle were silenced. To win Super Bowls you must have exceptional quarterback play.
20240212_134353.jpg
Spagnola and the Chiefs defense in combination with Mahomes doing just enough on offense won them the title. Chris Jones is a defensive closer like Aaron Donald. The Chiefs of 2023 remind me of how the LA RAMS of 2021 won Super Bowl 56. Tight playoff games with the defense closing the game out after Stafford and Kupp marshaled them down the field for the winning scores.
FLjeOLLVcAM9BMj.jpg_large.jpg

Coach Shanny and 9er owner Jed York must be on suicide watch after the crushing defeats of 2019 (Chiefs), 2021 (RAMS), 2022 (Eagles), and now the Chiefs again in 2023. The Vikings of the 1970s closely resemble today's 9ers. Good but not Great.
So has the 5 year title window closed on the 9ers with aging players and salary cap constraints? Most likely yes, most definitely by 2025.
20240214_152040.jpg
Mahomes has a huge salary cap number, but he is the rare QB who can pull his team through season after season. If the Chiefs draft some better weapons on offense this April, the AFC is going to continue suffering. He is amazing.
f2349492b2fc391e777f013901fc9dc71d5b3461e8dabe7c322849b07fb1b9f6.jpg

In conclusion, all the gold in California is still in a bank in the middle of Beverly Hills in somebody else's name.
rams-rings-jason-of-beverly-hills-main.jpg

Until next season... GO RAMS!!!

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
9ers could always fire Shanahan and hire that Jets OC. I hear that kid is great!

Careful what you wish for....😆

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
A new phrase has been coined following Super Bowl 58. "Deebo Face" - An expression of extreme disappointment or anguish, often accompanied by a towel over the head.

Deebo Face.jpg
20240215_090606.jpg

Last edited: