New Wading Boots from Simms

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
I just got an email from Simms giving a first look at their 2023 lineup.

They have two new pairs of wading boots
1. G4 PRO Powerlock Wading Boot (felt) - https://www.simmsfishing.com/collections/new-mens/products/ms-g4-pro-powerlock-boot-felt
2. G4 PRO Powerlock Wading Boot (vibram) - https://www.simmsfishing.com/collections/new-mens/products/g4-pro-powerlock-boot-vibram

The boots come with two sets of cleats that can be quickly changed:
1. 14 G4 PRO Powerlock Aluminum Cleats
2. 14 G4 PRO TPR Cleats (deck-safe)

Nice price tag of $499.95

Simms also redesigned their Flyweight Access Wet Wading Shoe - https://www.simmsfishing.com/collections/new-mens/products/ms-flyweight-access-wet-wading-shoe

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I DO need a good set of wet wading boots/shoes....always on the lookout. Looks like those wet waders would double nicely as a flats boot...or vice versa (with a little siping)

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
This is some kind of joke right?
I kind of had that same reaction at first. Then I started thinking about it in context.... There are plenty of $500 hiking boots out there. There are plenty of $500 hunting boots out there too. I guess the $500 mark is the going rate for a premium pair of boots now - assuming that these are in fact premium. I don't know. But they do look nice, I'll give 'em that.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Just can't do it. I fish saltwater 99% of the time.
It eventually eats the shit out of everything. If it doesn't get them, the barnacles and oysters do.
Nice looking boots though.
SF

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Great looking wading boots...the jacked up price reflective of the new corporate owners monetizing their investment...expect more of this, not less

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Too much metal for me.

One turn I like seeing in the wading boot world is what seems like a move towards lighter, more flexible materials on their normal (i.e. not marketed as lightweight) boots. It can certainly make for a more comfortable day on the water than your classic, modeled after 1970’s ski boot traditional style wading boot.

That said, if durability goes down the shitter with this trend, bring back the clunkers…

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Too much metal for me.

One turn I like seeing in the wading boot world is what seems like a move towards lighter, more flexible materials on their normal (i.e. not marketed as lightweight) boots. It can certainly make for a more comfortable day on the water than your classic, modeled after 1970’s ski boot traditional style wading boot.

That said, if durability goes down the shitter with this trend, bring back the clunkers…
Especially for hiking.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
...the jacked up price reflective of the new corporate owners monetizing their investment...expect more of this, not less
I'm not so sure it has anything to do with new corporate owners. A good pair of boots is expensive. Zamberlan, Lowa and Danner (just for example) all have hiking boots that run from $425 up to $495 - and that's just for hiking boots. Not talking mountaineering boots which run up beyond $800. Considering that, these are going thru a much tougher environment and have a pretty robust/costly looking traction system. They look like they are priced what top of the line boots cost. That is of course assuming that these are of that quality (top of the line). Shits just fucking expensive now.

Edit: For context on what a good quality hunting boot costs (I consider Schnee's a good quality boot). Yes, there's more material on these, but these also don't have interchangeable traction system. Either way, good boots aren't cheap.

I don't think it has as much to do with corporate greed as it does have to do with shit costs more now. I could be wrong though. In which case - fuck those greedy bastards!!
1673555812031.png

JayB

Steelhead
Crazy that high end waders now cost nearly as much as drysuits and wading boots cost as much or more than ski boots.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
My work boots are 450 or so right now, I typically get 7-8 years out of them @ 170 days a year or so of usage, mostly in bad weather, like today for instance. Last pair I got was 395, same boots.
Glad I don't need any wading boots...

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I wouldn't consider the new owners 'greedy', just working the ROI. They bought an upper end segment of the flyfishing apparel market for just that reason - folks who buy Simms, can usually afford Simms"
Have a closet full of jackets and coats, Simms, Patagonia, Columbia, Under Armor (yes, I have a problem), and like the Simms jackets fit and use of Primaloft insulation so much, just bought another.