New Video: 1 Dad, 2 Kids, 5 days on the John Day River

Back again with a very late video of our trip down the John Day river (back in June). If you have been thinking "Where do I go to do a fun trip to get my family into camping and fishing" this is the trip for you. We did Service Creek to Clarno, which has only one rapid worth paying attention too. Lower water I'm sure there are more rocks to avoid, but at the time we went through it was just a straight shot.

During the time we went, there weren't a ton of people on the river. Not sure what it's like at more peak times. But there were plenty of camping spots to choose.

We took our Watermaster Bruin raft, which is not exactly the biggest raft for multi day trips. But for 2 adults or 1 adult 2 kids it works out great if pack like you are backpacking. I can see though how a bigger raft with multiple coolers would make the food/drinks a lot more cushy. Someone told me they take ice cream on these trips haha.

Anyway hope you all enjoy and it encourages you to get out with your kids!

IMG_5429.jpgIMG_5248.jpgIMG_5068.jpgIMG_5215.JPGIMG_5063.jpgIMG_5346.jpgIMG_5162.jpgIMG_5324.jpgIMG_5163.jpgIMG_5459.jpg

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
This perfect.

Can confirm, the water levels on the JD were all over the place this past june.
Same. I happened to hit it on the biggest cfs spike that month, just an absolute chocolate milk torrent. The fishing was…not so good.

Looks like an awesome trip, OP! Great job getting the kids out!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Same. I happened to hit it on the biggest cfs spike that month, just an absolute chocolate milk torrent. The fishing was…not so good.

Looks like an awesome trip, OP! Great job getting the kids out!

Yeah, I vaguely remember you were in the "more beers than fish" camp.
But then again, that sounds like every steelhead camp. Just not what you expect on a John Day invasives run.

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Another great film, with an AWESOME family experience!!!

Be careful you will create "river people", haha. I have many many fond memories of rafting trips with my family.

Thanks for sharing!

Excellent trip and film report! I can't believe how much gear you were able to pack in that small raft; very impressive!
Haha yeah, well we do a lot of sea canoeing and backpacking (prekids) so we end up usually on the lighter side of things than perhaps the typical rafting crew.

Another great film, with an AWESOME family experience!!!

Be careful you will create "river people", haha. I have many many fond memories of rafting trips with my family.

Thanks for sharing!
lol when they become dirtbags and rafting guides I only have myself to blame/congratulate :D
Awesome video. Looks like fun. I do enjoy your video work.
Thanks Sam! Always appreciate the warm support here.