New to me a refinished Bamboo Fly rod.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Capt Insano was cleaning out an old garage and he found a few old Bamboo fly rods. They were in sad shape he said. So I asked if he would give the most beat up on and he did. Bambooflyguy had his ear in the wind and found out I had a beat up Bamboo fly rod. I was going to take it to Twin Bridges to the Bamboo fly shop and get an estimate on what it would cost to get it repaired. But Steve(bambooflyguy) sent me a PM and it took off from there. He gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.

It took while to get it done. I received it in the mail today. To me it is one of the beautiful Bamboo fly rods out there today. It had a decal on it that said Montague.
I don't think I can thank Steve enough for what he done. "Thank you", Steve

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I have my great grandpas(who I was named after) bamboo fly rod. I just recently dug it out and took a look at it. 2 piece, with a spare tip. It's also branded 'montague' I put it together, I really don't like the metal connection between the tip and the butt. I also noticed it's seriously bent, a noticeable curve to it, is that normal? I would love to get my great granpas rod restored and use it. Where should I send it?

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Slowly and cautiously put an opposite bend in the section over a hot stove element and work the set to straighten. On a lot of vintage bamboo rods the set (curve) might come back. It’s worth a try, and when playing a big fish or in current, turn the rod over (guides opposite) occasionally to not create a set in the rod. Let me know if I can help you.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Slowly and cautiously put an opposite bend in the section over a hot stove element and work the set to straighten. On a lot of vintage bamboo rods the set (curve) might come back. It’s worth a try, and when playing a big fish or in current, turn the rod over (guides opposite) occasionally to not create a set in the rod. Let me know if I can help you.
Interesting, a whole new world for me