New Orleans Redfish in February

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
It looks like I'll be going to New Orleans in February. Wifey has a conference that I'll be tagging along with. Anyone have a solid recommendation for guides in the area? I doubt we'll rent a car but there's always Uber. I honestly have no idea what to expect that time of year. Anything else I should be doing? 😆

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Just trying to help...😁
It's Nawlins...more music, food, and debauchery than you can take in in 3 lifetimes.
Enjoy the trip...
it's all good, friend...

yeah, I'm sure some of those things may take place. We're staying downtown, so access to those non-fishing things shouldn't be an issue.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
it's all good, friend...

yeah, I'm sure some of those things may take place. We're staying downtown, so access to those non-fishing things shouldn't be an issue.
Greg Dini Jr.
Flywater Expeditions

Don't say I never did nuthin' for ya.

The Eggplant is very good that time of year.
😁

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
A friend of mine uses him every year, speak highly of him.
I have not been down there to fish.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
We went through https://www.southernflyexpeditions.com/, Capt. Brandon Keck.

We went in a big group (8 of us), so I actually never fished with Capt. Brandon. But, we had a great time with all of his guides, super friendly, professional, and fishy.

Unfortunately due to severe weather, our trip got cut short...we fished 2 days, it was supposed to be 6. Capt. Brandon gave us a full refund on both our fishing and lodging, which I thought was pretty awesome. Many would keep at least the deposit.

We were there in March a few years ago. I would say while the weather (when it was good for the first couple days) said it was going to be mid-70's, it was actually pretty dang chilly on the water. Bring a few more layers than you think!

Feel free to DM for more details.

James

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Randall, you might check with Capt Gregg Arnold in NO. As a group of 4 we’d fish with him and a couple other guides post Katrina. He lived in the Carrollton section of the city and we’d shuttle to Hopedale where he fished out of. We fished primarily the east side of MrGo in the Eloi area. Haven’t been for quite sometime as the big Reds are in my backyard now though I’d like to go back just to dine at a different venue every night for 2 weeks.
We’d stop here each morning to pay our respects.
IMG_1646.jpeg

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
It looks like I'll be going to New Orleans in February. Wifey has a conference that I'll be tagging along with. Anyone have a solid recommendation for guides in the area? I doubt we'll rent a car but there's always Uber. I honestly have no idea what to expect that time of year. Anything else I should be doing? 😆
I've fished Redfish in NOLA twice (early December and early April). Early December had big redfish, but was very cold. April was warm and good sun, but redfish were smaller with big black drum and alligator gar around too. Your guide will pick you up at your hotel in downtown NOLA. Then you drive south to a cafe in Hopedale and hang-out waiting for sun to hit the water. February will be spotty with weather and enough sunlight to spot fish in the delta marshes. The big redfish bulls are caught August to December. It is worth a day trip, but watch the weather. Reds pull hard and are fun in close sight casting; however, they are not the most thrilling gamefish.

Redfish_#3.jpgRedfish_#1b.jpg

The Gulf of Mexico is awesome, as is the Mississippi delta. Everyone should fly fish it if they have the opportunity. New Orleans is one of the great American cities, very unique. The food can be seriously good.

Last edited:

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Randy, I too am headed down there for my first ever trip. Never been to NOLA, so I'm looking forward to the whole experience.

I'munna spend 3 nights eating and partying in New Orleans, then meet some flyfishers down in Port Sulpher for 5 days. These guys have done it all before and they echo comments of others on this thread. Weather is key and poor weather eliminates the flyfishing opportunites.

Never mind the eggplant, I'll be suckin' heads, WR

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
I also fished with Southern Fly Expeditions. I fished with Jonathan Allen and had a great time. There are reds to catch year round, but weather can be fickle in February. It was high of 39 one day and 80 the next lol. For a cheap rental car look at Turo.com lots of options in NOLA. Tons of stuff to do, very unique part of the world really, I’ve never been anywhere like it.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I fished this spring with Micheal Leishman jr and had a trip booked also a few years back with Brandon Keck. They are great guys my trip with Brandon was canceled due to Covid, Micheal is an excellent guide and definitely put me on lots of fish. I fished in late April so I can’t be of much help on fishing conditions in February. Conditions on the first day were 30 mph winds and tough fishing the next day was awesome but had some issues with churned up water. I tied a lot of flies and I should have used lead eyes and not bead chain. So my recommendation is to get your trip booked early and make sure to have a range in weights. I also used Uber and that was very convenient and tried to make it easy for the guide on were to meet. I booked three days for next year and looking forward learning more about the fishery. My son lives there and I’m trying to get him interested so I can take more trips down there.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Did Mardis Gras in Feb of 2005, didn't even think about fishing, just eating and drinking and smiling at body painted bare breasted ladies. I think I ate 7 different kinds of fish but can't remember all the names, ate turtle soup , gator on a stick and at least 5 dozen of those yummy gulf oysters and then all sorts of cajun food. Listen to some good jazz and zydecko (sp?) and watched my wife play spoons on a washboard. Came home 10lbs heavier but what a blast. Only had a week there and used the whole time doing fun stuff, except no fishing.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
It is a fun town. Incredible food. Have been there three times but never fished. Only place I ever had a dude slapped my forehead with a chicken foot. That was outside a house of voodoo type place. I had a good buzz on so never saw it coming.
SF