New one to me.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
These beetles disappear when they're on an alder tree with thier great camouflage. They have a bold pattern but just blend right in. Being a borer you'd think they would be bad, but the eggs are deposited in dead rotting wood which the larve eat, helping decomposition. I have seen a couple on a blacktop trail near my house but have looked for and never seen one on the trees..

BriGuy

Life of the Party
These beetles disappear when they're on an alder tree with thier great camouflage. They have a bold pattern but just blend right in. Being a borer you'd think they would be bad, but the eggs are deposited in dead rotting wood which the larve eat, helping decomposition. I have seen a couple on a blacktop trail near my house but have looked for and never seen one on the trees..
I saw one a few years ago on the outside wall/ceiling of a Cannon Beach hotel. I hope it wasn't dead, rotting wood since we're going back there soon.

1687832829625.png

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I used to find them all the time at my grandpa's, he had A LOT of of alder on his 28 acre property on the North River.