New-Old Glass

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I recently came into possession of Heddon 702 Tubular Glass rod from 1951, complete with Faux Bamboo "browntone" finish! Cork and reel seat are in great condition, and has a nice patina. Guide and ferrule wraps are starting to come undone, but that will be a fun project to fix. I'd like to put new black nickle snake guides on and a Agate stripping guide. Hopefully get it out on the water this summer.

I'd like to know what line choices y'all would recommend. Despite it heft, It does not feel like a 7wt! Maybe a modern 4 or 5?

20230521_210701.jpg

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nice catch! Personally, I'd think twice about an agate stripping guide and go with a all metal style. The agate guides are more apt to fail or get broken in the long run IMHO. Plus I like the looks better of these. 20220415_165706822_iOS.jpg

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
That being said if you are set on using an agate stripping guide I'd recommend one from Joe.

Mike

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Tested it today with a WF5F and DT5. It seemed to like the DT more. I started removing the comically small guides from the blank. The stripping guide looks to be about 4mm ID.

1 stripping guide, 8 snake guide and the tip-top.

I am thinking for guide sizes10mm, 3, 2, 1,1/0, 1/0, 1/0, 1/0, 1/0 5tt

Does that seem about right?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
If you're a faster graphite guy, you'll probably love it with a 5wt. If you're a slower glass/boo guy, you'll love ith a 7wt. Or if you're completely contrarian, you'll just throw on 225-250 shooting head and call it a day....I know which category that I fall into.