New Definitions...

I've had a bunch of change in my life over the last year. I walked away from a major medical event relatively unscathed, retired just before Christmas after nearly 32 years in Public Safety, and turned 60 earlier this month. Perhaps it's a common thing when entering a new phase of life, but I've found myself going through some sort of introspection and redefining what success means to me.

Part of this re-evaluation included a review of my time spent on the river after the recent end to the steelhead season on my home river. Once again I didn't connect with a unicorn and in years past I would have been kicking cats and pushing little old ladies outa my way but this year I had some sort of epiphany on the last day. Yep, some might say I've given up, rolled over, got castrated, or decided the silver is just as good a medal as the gold...and maybe all that's true but I feel pretty lucky to have enjoyed the time I had on the water.

I ended up with 8 days of swinging flies after it looked like the river wouldn't open at all due to hatchery needs...but the stars aligned and it was 'go' time. My first day on the water was so flippin' foggy that it was hard to tell where I was because of the limited visibility and the major river changes after the December floods...yet it was eerily cool.

IMG_E4435[1].JPG
IMG_4431[1].JPG

Once the stagnant air cleared it was game on to find the new runs and hidey holes. And it wouldn't be winter fishing without some rain and snow...

IMG_E4449[1].JPG

Competition was pretty stiff this year as it was one of the busiest I've seen in a while...but even this didn't get me down for long. In years past I would've gotten all frustrated with the conga line of drift boats or having someone walk up and get ready to low hole me. Don't get me wrong, I had my moments of near hissy fits and considered throwing rocks but then I just chilled and talked with people. Everyone I met was pretty cool, things worked out and I got to spend some pretty cool days on the water.

OQWNE3307[1].JPG

I brought my pup with me a few times
IMG_E4453[2].JPG

and my son came up for two days of ping ponging down the river in our rafts....

EBAZE8089[1].JPG

On the day prior to closing, I was inspired by this fellow who looked to be about 80. It took him a bit, but he made the hike to the river and was out there, thigh deep, slowly swinging his way through one of the runs shown above. I hope I'm still out fishing in 20 years!

On the last day, I decided to head waaaay upstream. The stretches I'd focused on were getting hammered and I just wanted some alone time. I'd heard reliable stories of fish being caught in the area so I left the dog at home and gave it a go.

IMG_E4471[2].JPG

IMG_E4472[1].JPG

No unicorns but I didn't see another fisher all day long and I ended up with some fiesty dollies. Then, at the end of the day, when I'd run out of places I could safely cross or wade to, it dawned on me that I'd had a George Bailey-It's a Wonderful Life steelhead season on what I've often referred to as a godforsaken river. Yep, I did not touch a steelhead but my definition of success had changed....I'd met some nice people, saw some beautiful sights, spent some time with my oldest son, made some casts that would have made Ed Ward proud, and overall, I had a great time on the water....so I thought I'd share.

Mike d

Last edited:

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I've had a bunch of change in my life over the last year. I walked away from a major medical event relatively unscathed, retired just before Christmas after nearly 33 years in Public Safety, and turned 60 earlier this month. Perhaps it's a common thing when entering a new phase of life, but I've found myself going through some sort of introspection and redefining what success means to me.

Part of this re-evaluation included a review of my time spent on the river after the recent end to the steelhead season on my home river. Once again I didn't connect with a unicorn and in years past I would have been kicking cats and pushing little old ladies outa my way but this year I had some sort of epiphany on the last day. Yep, some might say I've given up, rolled over, got castrated, or decided the silver is just as good a medal as the gold...and maybe all that's true but I feel pretty lucky to have enjoyed the time I had on the water.

I ended up with 8 days of swinging flies after it looked like the river wouldn't open at all due to hatchery needs...but the stars aligned and it was 'go' time. My first day on the water was so flippin' foggy that it was hard to tell where I was because of the limited visibility and the major river changes after the December floods...yet it was eerily cool.

View attachment 5631
View attachment 5632

Once the stagnant air cleared it was game on to find the new runs and hidey holes. And it wouldn't be winter fishing without some rain and snow...

View attachment 5633

Competition was pretty stiff this years as it was one of the busiest I've seen in a while...but even this didn't get me down for long. In years past I would've gotten all frustrated with the conga line of drift boats or having someone walk up and get ready to low hole me. Don't get me wrong, I had my moments of near hissy fits and considered throwing rocks but then I just chilled and talked with people. Everyone I met was pretty cool, things worked out and I got to spend some pretty cool days on the water.

View attachment 5634

I brought my pup with me a few times
View attachment 5636

and my son came up for two days of ping ponging down the river in our rafts....

View attachment 5710

On the day prior to closing, I was inspired by this fellow who looked to be about 80. It took him a bit, but he made the hike to the river and was out there, thigh deep, slowly swinging his way through one of the runs shown above. I hope I'm still out fishing in 20 years!

On the last day, I decided to head waaaay upstream. The stretches I'd focused on were getting hammered and I just wanted some alone time. I'd heard reliable stories of fish being caught in the area so I left the dog at home and gave it a go.

View attachment 5711

View attachment 5712

No unicorns but I didn't see another fisher all day long and I ended up with some fiesty dollies. Then, at the end of the day, when I'd run out of places I could safely cross or wade to, it dawned on me that I'd had a George Bailey-It's a Wonderful Life steelhead season on what I've often referred to as a godforsaken river. Yep, I did not touch a steelhead but my definition of success had changed....I'd met some nice people, saw some beautiful sights, spent some time with my oldest son, made some casts that would have made Ed Ward proud, and overall, I had a great time on the water....so I thought I'd share.

Mike d
Awesome write up on my home river and how perspectives change in the autumn of our lives.

Chadk

Life of the Party
Great report. Very inspiring. I love getting out there - especially if I can find solitude (even if it means less fish). Catching a fish - especially a steelhead - just icing on an already delicious cake.

Reactions: M_D

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
So much this!! I went through the same things this winter. With the heart of the season taken away, all the changes to the river and then the low flows the catching was brutal. With the coast under restriction and the Skagit closing on the 31st the pressure was unlike anything I'd ever seen. Easily 5x the rigs over last year, including midweek.

But when the decision to reopen came down I felt a joy that I cant quite describe. I dont care to ever touch another unicorn. I care so deeply about being in unicorn country and searching for them. I met some cool dudes and even had a few dudes respect my space when they came in to the run I was on. My wife finally shot some line on a double spey and started to understand swinging is more than just letting it swing.

It was a fantastic season. They all are. Cant wait for next year!

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Excellent post! It isn't always about the "catching" . . . thanks for sharing.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Thanks for this - I sometimes find myself getting frustrated, and yes even angry, when things are slow, sometimes (wish it were always) the question comes to mind, "what am I here for", I then remember and the heart rate and BP go way down - thanks for the reminder!!

cheers

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Congrats on retirement! I can tell you're intense and fish hard like many of us steelheaders. Glad you found a way to deal with it. Your time spent on the river was not wasted!