NEW ARTICLE: So you think you want to target Musky?

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Great stuff Randy, thanks for your efforts and willingness to share hard gained insight.

Cheers

Hem

Life of the Party
Good read.
This year I'm continuing my goal of catching a Montana Tiger. First try of the year was yesterday. It's a bit of a drive.
Forecast was mid 40's with afternoon rain. Fishing from shore this trip.
Arrived mid morning, temps in 30's, 9 mph wind. Lake was mostly brown from sediment.😒 Didn't check water temps but it was damn cold, some ice still on shoreline. Fly line was not happy. Black wall of weather blew in, snow instead of rain, air temp remained in 30's.
Tough going...though there were two boats out.
I'd like to hear feedback on optimal water temps. I'm guessing the early conditions in Montana are not on the same plane as most musky states. Typically the pike fishing ramps up in late April/May.
This particular lake is fairly exposed, and it doesn't take much wind to degrade the water quality, don't know if this puts it on par with murky Midwest water conditions.
I'll figure it out eventually.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Good read.
This year I'm continuing my goal of catching a Montana Tiger. First try of the year was yesterday. It's a bit of a drive.
Forecast was mid 40's with afternoon rain. Fishing from shore this trip.
Arrived mid morning, temps in 30's, 9 mph wind. Lake was mostly brown from sediment.😒 Didn't check water temps but it was damn cold, some ice still on shoreline. Fly line was not happy. Black wall of weather blew in, snow instead of rain, air temp remained in 30's.
Tough going...though there were two boats out.
I'd like to hear feedback on optimal water temps. I'm guessing the early conditions in Montana are not on the same plane as most musky states. Typically the pike fishing ramps up in late April/May.
This particular lake is fairly exposed, and it doesn't take much wind to degrade the water quality, don't know if this puts it on par with murky Midwest water conditions.
I'll figure it out eventually.
Way to get out!!
What type of flies do you like for them?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
@Hem the Midwest musky guys fish for them as long as they can get their boat in! For our tigers out here (WA), I've found that they're the most active once that water temp hits 50+. @Dustin Chromers has fished for them a ton as well, so hopefully he'll chime in as well with his experience. Today, I was out at one of the M lakes and the surface water temp was right around 45 when my battery died at 11am. I had spotted several (including one cruiser) and had 2 lazy follows, so we're getting close here (another few weeks of warmer weather should get a better thermocline where they can pick and choose a little easier) . One thing to keep in mind though, it does pay to slow down (like, way down) when it's cold and especially in a lake setting. If it feels painfully slow, go slower...lol.

Last edited:

Hem

Life of the Party
@Hem the Midwest musky guys fish for them as long as they can get their boat in! For our tigers out here (WA), I've found that they're the most active once that water temp hits 50+. @Dustin Chromers has fished for them a ton as well, so hopefully he'll chime in as well with his experience. Today, I was out at one of the M lakes and the surface water temp was right around 45 when my battery died at 11am. I had spotted several (including one cruiser) and had 2 lazy follows, so we're getting close here (another few weeks of warmer weather should get a better thermocline where they can pick and choose a little easier) . One thing to keep in mind though, it does pay to slow down (like, way down) when it's cold and especially in a lake setting. If it feels painfully slow, go slower...lol.
Solid advice. I'm guessing water temps were in the high 30's, maybe 40. Still some ice on the bank. Lake bottom has variety. Shallow bays the weed eventually flourishes in, but also deeper water bordered by sand, ledge and some larger structure. I took my boat out last September, trying to get some mechanical kinks ironed out ever since. Think it injested too much sediment.
A guy I know did well in early July last year sight casting in the shallow bays.
Won't get back until May . Again I'll be in waders fishing shoreline...think I'll try smaller flies. Hopefully by early summer boat is running for a visit. Late Fall, as well.
Probably should get a fish finder to explain depth and structure.
Its all a puzzle worth figuring.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
given your description, I wouldn't expect to see a ton of fish for a bit. That said, all it takes is one. They still have to eat, just not as much...

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
Kinda what I was thinking.
If you can find a lake topo map, that may help in locating points, drop offs and other structures. Sometimes google earth can help. Google earth helped a lot when I was fishing tigers in WA many years ago.

Thinking about trying to locate a few northern pike lakes near me in sw Montana. Good luck on your search.

Hem

Life of the Party
If you can find a lake topo map, that may help in locating points, drop offs and other structures. Sometimes google earth can help. Google earth helped a lot when I was fishing tigers in WA many years ago.

Thinking about trying to locate a few northern pike lakes near me in sw Montana. Good luck on your search.
Where are you located?

View attachment 108616

Check out this great new article by @clarkman about chasing Musky on the fly!

Google Lost Creek Fly Shop in Onalaska WA if you want a good muskie guide