NEW ARTICLE: Adding a bow mount motor to your small aluminum boat..

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin

Adding a Bow Mount Trolling Motor Platform to Your Small Boat​

1710471988796.png

Okay, I don't know how many PNWFF members this project will interest. But it's something that doesn't have a lot of real-world walkthrough examples out there on the internet. So I figured I would write a little article up.

Honestly, it's pretty darn cool. Anyone who chases fish around docks and pads and structure but doesn't have the cash for a bass boat should check it out.

Tuna Ball

Steelhead
I had a goal to make a bass boat on the cheap. I did pretty well except for the trolling motor upgrade. The auto pilot and spot lock are SOOOOO nice though. I took an old aluminum hatch door as a base for the motor mount. I built a casting deck out of some studs and a recycled cabinet.

It isn't shiny or runs 50mph across the lake, but it gets me around my local lake just fine.

IMG_20230605_075833522.jpgIMG_20230612_101651635_HDR.jpg

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I had a goal to make a bass boat on the cheap. I did pretty well except for the trolling motor upgrade.
Compare the price of a Terrova to a Ghost or Ultrex like all of the fancy bass boats (financed for 12 years at 10% interest!) have. You still did just fine for a budget build.

Some of that stuff you just can't get without paying at least a little money. I have a Powerdrive and that's the cheapest way to have Minn Kota's iPilot/spot-lock. But.... it comes with the caveat that you can't have spot-lock AND a foot pedal. Just one or the other.

So, you want to have both on a budget, the Terrova is your best and cheapest bet.