Neoprene Booties on Waders

JodyRay

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Is there a trick to sliding the neoprene stocking-foot of waders into a wading boot without it sticking and forcing your toes to get cramped and crushed? I've worn stocking-foot waders for years but have always had a hard time getting the stocking-foot to easily slide in the boot and fit comfortably. I usually end up lifting my heel up and down to try and force the stocking-foot forward to fit better.

Were there some instructions in fine print somewhere in the wader box I missed? What do others do to make the foot slide in easier?

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I've always worn wool socks in mine, pulled the boogie snug and slid my foot in. Could your boots be too small ?

For wet wading, I've used a pair of sneakers or well greased leather work boots one size larger over a pair of neoprene socks.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Loosen the laces a lot more then you are currently doing so you can fold the boot tongue over / forward when putting your boots on.
SF

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Open boa or unlace as much as possible. Just hold top of neoprene at gravel cuff and ease foot into boot on ground. Do other. Stand, wiggle feet and dance a little to seat your heal. 1/2 tighten, wiggle a bit, then synch tight and put down gravel guard. If your bootie is too long try holding closer to your ankle to get more toe space when inserting foot. Stepping in works better than pulling on for me. I too think wool socks are best.

JodyRay

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have two pairs of boots, one pair a size larger for summer wear, the other 2 sizes larger for winter wear with more socks. They're both BOA, but I try to pull the cable as open as possible to allow my foot to slip in, but it's still a pain in the ass at times.

I read somewhere years ago some tip about using a garbage bag to help the foot slide in and then pull the bag out. Anyone ever hear that?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Bigger boots, looser laces, wet boots and wet waders.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I'm an old man, But I discovered that trick years ago. I used to fish quite a bit with Matt Burke. He drove an older Jeep Waggoneer. The heater was just that in name only. I had my wet boots in the back seat area. It was in the middle of winter and it was cold out. From Marysville to Swift Creek on the Skagit my wader boots froze. Just try to thaw them out in a Jeep where the heater is in name only. Coldest vehicle I ever road in. I would bundle up when ever I road in that damn Jeep.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Yup, agree with the above, always soak 'em first - slide on much easier!!

cheers

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
When I'm kayak fishing early in the season I wear NRS booties (with thick soles) over my wader booties (with wool socks inside the wader booties). I don't fish much moving water, but when I do I throw on a set of felt soled wading boots).

I both cases the outer footwear is three sizes larger than my normal size; I wear a 10 but my wading booties and boots are size 13. Pretty easy to get them on and off, and since they're snug but not overly light my feet stay warm because circulation is not impaired.

Wet wading I just wear size 10 NRS fully soled bootie, with a 0.5 mm Hydroskin sock.

FishyJere

Nee Jerry Metcalf
Forum Supporter
You can buy extra large liner socks which fit over the neo-bootie. They protect the bootie and are sort of slippery and help when fitting something over the bootie. I got mine at Sportsmans Warehouse.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
When I'm kayak fishing early in the season I wear NRS booties (with thick soles) over my wader booties (with wool socks inside the wader booties). I don't fish much moving water, but when I do I throw on a set of felt soled wading boots).

I both cases the outer footwear is three sizes larger than my normal size; I wear a 10 but my wading booties and boots are size 13. Pretty easy to get them on and off, and since they're snug but not overly light my feet stay warm because circulation is not impaired.

Wet wading I just wear size 10 NRS fully soled bootie, with a 0.5 mm Hydroskin sock.
Geez, size 13. They could double as snow shoes.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Geez, size 13. They could double as snow shoes.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'm convinced that cold feet problems very often arise when people only get one or two sizes larger in footwear worn over thick wader booties...even non-neoprene gortex waders tend to have much thicker booties than might be expected from just factoring in the leg and waist portions of the breathable waterproof fabric. And a pair wool socks worn under the wader booties compound the problem if the outtermost footwear aren't a great deal larger than your nominal footsize.

Bear in mind that each full size difference results in 1/3" difference in length; a size 11 is only 1/3" longer than a size 10. Thick wader booties and socks can take up the small gap very rapidly.

Last edited: