Nehalem Bay: Summer Run and early Fall Run Salmon?

Bryan

Just Hatched
I realize it may not be the optimal technique, but has anyone been fly fishing for Salmon in the lower Nehalem Bay (e.g. from Fishery Point to the jetty entrance) during the Summer Chinook Run or the early Fall Runs (Chinook and Coho)?

On the incoming tides, lots of salt water gets pushed into that lower Bay.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Bryan

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like your thinking.

Only fished it for salmon a couple times many years ago. Seems it might be worth a shot though. My Dad caught a very bright Chinook once, just downstream from the bridge slow trolling herring. Based on that single data point it would seem they actively feed, and are hypothetically receptive to flies, at least that far up the bay.

To my limited knowledge, the lower bay, and along the jetty are the more productive areas - and I understand why you'd want to try there. The challenges there are strong currents and concentrated fishing pressure. Short of trolling flies on heavy heads, I'm not sure how you'd effectively mix fly fishing with other boats trolling.

If it were me, I'd lean towards finding some staging fish further up in tidewater, anchor up and fish comet type patterns.

I've also thought about fly fishing off the South jetty since the deepest part of the channel is right against it, and the salmon should be within casting range. The problem there is that's one of the steepest, most dangerous jetties I've been on. Landing a big Chinook on fly gear would be sketchy to say the least.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Bryan

Just Hatched
I like your thinking.

Only fished it for salmon a couple times many years ago. Seems it might be worth a shot though. My Dad caught a very bright Chinook once, just downstream from the bridge slow trolling herring. Based on that single data point it would seem they actively feed, and are hypothetically receptive to flies, at least that far up the bay.

To my limited knowledge, the lower bay, and along the jetty are the more productive areas - and I understand why you'd want to try there. The challenges there are strong currents and concentrated fishing pressure. Short of trolling flies on heavy heads, I'm not sure how you'd effectively mix fly fishing with other boats trolling.

If it were me, I'd lean towards finding some staging fish further up in tidewater, anchor up and fish comet type patterns.

I've also thought about fly fishing off the South jetty since the deepest part of the channel is right against it, and the salmon should be within casting range. The problem there is that's one of the steepest, most dangerous jetties I've been on. Landing a big Chinook on fly gear would be sketchy to say the least.

Good luck!
Thanks for your reply.

Yep, that South Jetty is in the right location, but, as you say, would be a challenging place to land a hot salmon on the fly.

I'm going to give the lower Bay a try with flies from my boat. I'll report back.

Cheers,

Bryan