Need trip ideas for late June.

Chris54

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
My buddy and me are turning 40 this year. We want to take a fly fishing trip for 4 or 5 days. I’m struggling with where to go. We tossed out all sorts of ideas. Henry’s fork, yellow stone, British Columbia ect. We are located in the willamette valley in Oregon. We’re open to driving or flying. I would love to drop 6 grand on a fly fishing lodge in Montana or Idaho but that’s a little too steep. I still have a mortgage and kids to put through college. Open to all suggestions for a couple middle class fly fishing guys.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Maybe a couple days on the Big Hole. That should be salmonfly hatch time..
There is a great place to camp for free just a few miles upstream of Wise River..
Craig Fellin at Big Hole Lodge is the guy to get ahold of but do it soon as late June is the prime time..

RCF

Life of the Party
Depending on the year, we always say that but it is true, the end of high runoff on many waters in Montana is late June.

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Just thinking outside the box, that is "primetime' for the shad run, right at your door. Sounds like you want a little getaway though.
Smallmouth and walleye should be good too, we often get all three up at Umatilla, and even into the snake by then.

Last edited:

flybill

Life of the Party
Montana! Might have to be a little flexible on the dates depending on runoff! The Missouri is always fun around Craig.. Once you get out there you just need a plan B or C in case! I've been in April and May and prefer then but there are tons of options! Rock Creek!

You can always fish in ID on the way out or back!

In WA the Yakima is always fun and productive..

If you can hire guides do it. Lots of options whether you camp.. Montana would be my first choice though!

Chris54

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Have any of you guys stayed in yellow stone and fished with in the park? I’m sure the tourists are obnoxious. I’ve never been and thought we could kill two birds with one stone. I’ve always wondered if the fishing pressure is better or worse in the park.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Re YNP, a lot of the major rivers are still in spring runoff in late June, and many of the important rivers don't open to fishing until July 15.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Cascade lakes highway is my heaven. So many great places to fish in a relatively small area. I’m a big fan of lake fishing so it a win win for me.
If being a fan of lake fishing , then Montana for sure . You got Hebgen, Quake ,Wade , Cliff ,and Ennis to name a few ,and then there is Henry's , and Island Park near by in Idaho, and then throw in the rivers around that area ,it would be hard to beat . Very doable with 4-5 days to fish .