NFR NCAL ideas this weekend

Non-fishing related

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I’m in the Bay Area this week and next, and had plans to meet my brother here over the weekend. However, he can’t make it, so I’m at loose ends. Im trying to decide whether to stay in the city, but also I’m thinking of heading up to Tahoe or Yosemite. It looks like runoff is pretty high right now.

Any suggestions? I don’t have any fishing gear with me, btw.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Phil, are you trying to fish (with a guide since you dont have your gear)? Or just enjoy the weather? I'm from Sonoma Co, but also lived up in South Lake Tahoe for years.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Actually, not thinking about fishing, although I did think about pyramid for a hot second. Leaning now towards Monterey and pinnacles. Saw the parrots last night, and would love to see the condors.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
The Lower Sac is a very good fishery right now.
I'd hire a guide and take advantage of it.
:)

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
All great ideas. I’ll decide in the morning

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
All great ideas. I’ll decide in the morning
I made quick day trips into sequoia Park and Yosemite when visiting family in Fresno
Both were kinda cool, but the crowds lol. I hate people, and hate em more in large groups in the woods haha. (But I was there, so adding to the crowds. I know)

Really I'm no help. Just wanted to complain. :)

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Most parks south of Tahoe are either closed or limited access due to snowpack washing out roads, damaging infrastructure. My SIL can’t get up to family compound at 5000’ to assess damage and cleanup.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
Most parks south of Tahoe are either closed or limited access due to snowpack washing out roads, damaging infrastructure. My SIL can’t get up to family compound at 5000’ to assess damage and cleanup.

My friend has a cabin on Wrights Lake. We tried to get in 2.5 weeks ago (also to assess damage and cleanup) using his rig. No way in hell - we should have brought a snowmobile as that would have been the play. Our hypothesis that we might be able to get in far enough to just snowshoe the rest of the way (have done that before there) was a “nope.”

We ended up being smart about it though (not always our trademark approach….) and turning around before we would be in a potentially overcommitted situation, so that was good. On the way back out we had to winch out a bunch of young Russian-American guys in a massive Dodge 4X4. Based on my observations, the driver was not experienced at all driving off road or in snow. It was pretty comical.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Monterrey Aquarium and Santa Cruz could be a nice trip. Rent a convertible and take a drive down Hwy 17, see some redwoods.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Having crab cakes in Monterey as I write this, and heading to pinnacles in the morning. Thanks for all the suggestions.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Had a great time. Went to pinnacles and Big Sur, then drove back via half moon bay. No condors, but some great scenery nonetheless.

Not sure how I missed having a prawn Bloody Mary with the old one, though.

IMG_2012.jpegIMG_2014.jpeg70623166687__4D71A2F8-5718-4076-88EF-FB46EEC9AC7A.jpeg