N.U.

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
From Camp water down to Susan Creek pretty burned up on one side or the other, sometimes both. SC CG closed but intact mostly inside the actual CG, hwy frontage in that area torched. SC day use area open, not burned, trails down to walk bridge intact. From Boulder Flats down to camp water pretty good shape overall including dry creek area and all CG's in that stretch. Over the past couple months road crews, loggers, chippers, slash clean up, etc been working daily on cleanup up and down hwy, they have really accomplished alot in a short period of time.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've been afraid to see it. Glad to hear it's not as bad as I expected. I usually hang in that upper section just to avoid the crowds anyway.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I've been afraid to see it. Glad to hear it's not as bad as I expected. I usually hang in that upper section just to avoid the crowds anyway.
It's going to be very green down there I imagine it just won't be big conifers.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I found it to be painful to see. It is bad up to the camp water. Bend is impacting the upper section more and more.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I found it to be painful to see. It is bad up to the camp water. Bend is impacting the upper section more and more.

I took video and got the license plate of a couple guys who crossed the river at split Rock and were fishing extremely heavily weighted flies down at the pulpit. The Toyota tundra had dealer badges from Bend. Being a fly fishermen doesn't keep you from being a poacher.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hmmm, I was just there 3/16 - 3/23. First time for me, so I never saw it before the fire. Simply amazing, dead and down stems nearly everywhere. I guess they had fallers in there to drop trees burned by the fire before they become hazards. Fortunately there are still a great many live trees still standing, although the trunks are blackened a ways up. Steamboat Inn cabins and houses weren't touched, surprisingly. At SC CG there are also a bunch of what were live trees down from wind throw. Downstream 3 houses between the highway and river were burned, but one is nearly rebuilt, the second has sheeting on the sides and roof, and only the third is still a empty foundation. Across the road the motel has been redone and looks pretty good with fresh paint. There's also a small slide along the highway, a reminder that wildfire leaves steep unstable slopes more vulnerable to erosion.

The above photo reminded me that I saw a couple trilliums beginning to open up and bloom. Winter is just about in the rear view mirror.

Oh, and the NU is a case study AGAINST Kold Kutter studs. They skate on those slicker than deer guts on a door knob bolders and bedrock. The high priced Simms carbide hardbite studs were the clear winners for safe and sane wading, along with a wading staff of course.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hmmm, I was just there 3/16 - 3/23. First time for me, so I never saw it before the fire. Simply amazing, dead and down stems nearly everywhere. I guess they had fallers in there to drop trees burned by the fire before they become hazards. Fortunately there are still a great many live trees still standing, although the trunks are blackened a ways up. Steamboat Inn cabins and houses weren't touched, surprisingly. At SC CG there are also a bunch of what were live trees down from wind throw. Downstream 3 houses between the highway and river were burned, but one is nearly rebuilt, the second has sheeting on the sides and roof, and only the third is still a empty foundation. Across the road the motel has been redone and looks pretty good with fresh paint. There's also a small slide along the highway, a reminder that wildfire leaves steep unstable slopes more vulnerable to erosion.

The above photo reminded me that I saw a couple trilliums beginning to open up and bloom. Winter is just about in the rear view mirror.

Oh, and the NU is a case study AGAINST Kold Kutter studs. They skate on those slicker than deer guts on a door knob bolders and bedrock. The high priced Simms carbide hardbite studs were the clear winners for safe and sane wading, along with a wading staff of course.
Thanks. I’ve been using the Kold Kutter studs in combination with the aluminum cleats. Works OK on the Deschutes, but I’ll use something else on the NU. Been a while and I need to get back to that river.