N. Idaho

The kid and I were able to steal another day this week. It doesn’t happen near enough but it’s so awesome when it does. We caught the first really good hatch of the year. We also had my childhood best friend with us. That’s 2 trips in less than a month with two of my all time favorite people to spend time with. IMG_6746.jpeg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Glad to hear you got to spend some time fishing with special people, good stuff. My sons neighbor, who joined us for Easter, has a son playing football at Carroll also. Small world.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
The kid and I were able to steal another day this week. It doesn’t happen near enough but it’s so awesome when it does. We caught the first really good hatch of the year. We also had my childhood best friend with us. That’s 2 trips in less than a month with two of my all time favorite people to spend time with.
Nice! Skwalas? BWOs? or...?

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Nice! Skwalas? BWOs? or...?
There were a few Skwalas around. There were BWO's on the water as well as a bunch of March Browns and Nomura's. I fished a Nomura dry, and several different BWO/March Brown dries together... every fish I caught ate the Nomura.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
There were a few Skwalas around. There were BWO's on the water as well as a bunch of March Browns and Nomura's. I fished a Nomura dry, and several different BWO/March Brown dries together... every fish I caught ate the Nomura.
Gotta love early season dry fly action. "Nomura" is new to me and Google did not help. Any other info on the hatch?

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Gotta love early season dry fly action. "Nomura" is new to me and Google did not help. Any other info on the hatch?
It's the first small stonefly to hatch. It looks fairly similar to a Skwala but it's quite a bit smaller. I wish I had a picture of one but I don't. I'm not sure I have ever seen a tied Nomura fly but I use a size 14 & 16 foam ant. I don't remember what it's called but it has 2 foam posts and brown hackle wrapped around those 2 parachute posts... its underside is black.

I'm not sure you could even see a Nomura on the water....I just saw them all over the bank and I couldn't get a rise to any of the mayflies I was fishing.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
I think you might be referring to a Nemoura. Fairly common early spring bug in Montana at least. I spent years and years thinking they were “Nomura” just like you until one of my biology professor trout-bum uncles set me straight. I asked him how this Japanese guy named Nomura managed to get the stonefly named after him and he said ….. nope.

1712545817064.jpeg

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
I think you might be referring to a Nemoura. Fairly common early spring bug in Montana at least. I spent years and years thinking they were “Nomura” just like you until one of my biology professor trout-bum uncles set me straight. I asked him how this Japanese guy named Nomura managed to get the stonefly named after him and he said ….. nope.

View attachment 109888
Yes...I figured I was spelling it wrong :ROFLMAO: