My saltwater back up

The Fish Whisperer

Smolt
Forum Supporter
System 2 8/9.
I take this reel with me on every saltwater trip now as a back up. It is heavy and clunky, but is bullet proof like the System 1 456 I first had for trout fishing. That thing was in the mud etc and never had a problem with it. I think I will keep it..!

Do you all remember these or have one..?

Attachments

• IMG_4692.jpeg
    IMG_4692.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 19

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
I have one of those in a 7/8 and still use it because I’m a cheap old fart and it‘s not that often I break out the 8wt. In fact, I’m looking for a spare spool for mine, but they made these in several different variations, and this is the older, less common one.

Yeah, it’s a tank.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I have one and it caught my first ever steelhead on a fly back in the 90’s. I had it on a Lamiglass 9wt single hander. My first “nice” graphite fly rod 🙂

Because it caught that fish I can never get rid of it…

Chonay

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Yep they are solid. I have a 10/11 and 12/13 SA system 2 reels. The 10/11 is really crusty from florida salt. still works great! I use them on my 2 handers now

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
The only reel I own is a SA system2 5/6L
Same here. Have about 5 or 6 of them and continue to keep an eye out on E-Bay and other sites to add to my collection. Work horse of a reel and have no interest in going to anything different - fished them for more than 30 years.