My dad wants to take me fishing. Looking for guide recommendations.

SometimesIUseBait

Just Hatched
Hello,

My Dad is trying to set up a day of fishing for me, my cousin and uncle. 4 people total. 2 of us live in seattle and 2 in vancouver bc. We were thinking of sturgeon fishing on the fraiser but were quoted $450 a person which seems a little high. I looked into Nick Clayton’s guide service because I read such great things about him on here but unfortunately his boat can only hold 2 anglers.

Can anyone give me a recommendation of who to look into? We are pretty much open to anything and I would hate to see my dad shell out big money to any old schmuck with a jet sled. I pretty much fly fish rivers exclusively so it would be nice to experience a fishery I don’t have access to by foot or raft. Does anyone guide fly fishing on the sound with a larger boat?

Thanks in advance,
-Lukas

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Does anyone guide fly fishing on the sound with a larger boat?
Think about what you're asking. Four people fly fishing on one boat? I've never heard of such an arrangement. I think what you might consider is splitting up into two pairs, with two people fly fishing out of a driftboat with a guide. I think you'll find a lot more options that way.

SometimesIUseBait

Just Hatched
Think about what you're asking. Four people fly fishing on one boat? I've never heard of such an arrangement. I think what you might consider is splitting up into two pairs, with two people fly fishing out of a driftboat with a guide. I think you'll find a lot more options that way.
Excellent point. Shows my lack of boat experience outside of a small 2 man raft. I also think I would be the only one that wanted to fly cast. We are hoping to be in one boat just because the goal is time spent together more than anything.

If anyone has a recommendation for a 4 person guide trip/charter let me know. Fly/gear/trolling doesn’t matter. Just want to have a good experience and a first hand recommendation would be very useful.

Thanks,
-Lukas

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Let's get @Nick Clayton in on the conversation.

What time of year are you wanting to go? That could make a big difference. And the options between Seattle and Vancouver are going to be pretty limited.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Are you totally against rivers? I could see a fun day on the skagit/sauk. That's in between the two locations pretty nicely.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Hey its Subaru guy :D , welcome back. Have you graduated yet, didnt run into you the last season the Sauk was open?

My friend recently went out with Todd's Extream fishing out of Neah Bay. Came home with Halibut, lingcod, 3 different species of rock fish and Coho. Every angeler(6) got their limits on every species, he probably came home with over 100lbs of processed fish, but cost 500 I think.

SometimesIUseBait

Just Hatched
Let's get @Nick Clayton in on the conversation.

What time of year are you wanting to go? That could make a big difference. And the options between Seattle and Vancouver are going to be pretty limited.
Looking to do something this fall. So something oct-dec would probably be best. If there is a decent captain to take us out for some coho that would be ideal. I think my uncle would be pretty happy with some fish in his freezer. Not sure what the opportunities are for that though with the different MA closures.

SometimesIUseBait

Just Hatched
Are you totally against rivers? I could see a fun day on the skagit/sauk. That's in between the two locations pretty nicely.
Very true. I have just spent so much time on those river it would feel a little silly to pay to go fishing there. But if there is a great coho guide that could be the best option currently.

SometimesIUseBait

Just Hatched
Hey its Subaru guy :D , welcome back. Have you graduated yet, didnt run into you the last season the Sauk was open?

My friend recently went out with Todd's Extream fishing out of Neah Bay. Came home with Halibut, lingcod, 3 different species of rock fish and Coho. Every angeler(6) got their limits on every species, he probably came home with over 100lbs of processed fish, but cost 500 I think.
Hello! Yep I graduated and right after the Subaru blew the headgasket... so I missed out on some swinging and just wasn’t able to fish in general. I am back now though! Probably will be fishing elsewhere this spring but might come out a few days if it opens so pack your headlamps haha.

Thanks for that info. I will definitely look into that and knowing some fish are coming home might sway the dads. Would be a cool experience. I have never fished out of neah bay or anywhere on the coast. I didn’t even know lingcod was open out there in the fall.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party

Justin knows what he is doing if you want to mooch.

Keith mooches but will also take you fly fishing. Probably not all casting at the same time as salmo pointed out.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I think for a kick ass day on the river with 4 of your best dudes. 1,000 bucks is cheap.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Yeah more than 2 fly anglers off a boat is really difficult in most scenarios. Especially in the sound.

If I was going to take some buds on the sound I'd hit up Cary Hoffman and Mike Ainsworth at

I know both these guys personally and they run an absolute top notch business. Both are a ton of fun to fish with, are top level captains, and incredible fishermen. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Brian's suggestion of Todd Girtz is also a great one, though timing wise I can't say how much bottom fishing remains in the waters he focuses on.

Captain Keith might be able to accommodate 4 guys on a mixed gear/fly trip. I can't say for sure but might be worth checking into.

Mooching with Justin Wong would definitely be a good time. He's another very solid guide. Just know that the longer you wait the less opportunities are available in many cases.

I won't be resuming guiding until sometime in Novemeber as I don't know how long my ocean season will continue. My boat is set up to fly fish no more than 2 anglers, and even if using gear rods more than 2 anglers would be pretty tight.

Lots of great river options in the coming months as well. Another guy I know personally and can definitely vouch for is Neils Humphries. He's a super cool guy and a great fisherman. He runs a really cool custom 20' drift boat and could likely accommodate 4 guys easily.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Just another option to throw out there.
You might also consider floating some of the Forks area rivers for salmon.
With the lack of rain, a lot of fish still to come once it does rain.
I bet Jim Kerr could arrange a two boat trip for you if he has availability. I believe he’ll fish both fly and gear.
SF

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
I can second Mike Ainsworth, he's a very fishy dude!

SometimesIUseBait

Just Hatched
Thank you all very much for the recommendations. I passed them on to my dad so we will see what works with lining up everyones schedules with the openings these guides have. This will be my first guide experience and this takes out a lot of uncertainty/worry so thank you.