MT High Alpine Lakes

MT406

Steelhead
My wife has graciously agreed to go on a week long fishing road trip for the first week of July. We usually make the short drive to the Madison every year and catch the Salmon fly hatch, but I’ve been growing tired of the crowds. I’ve gained an interest in Stillwater fishing lately, especially high alpine lakes. I’m aiming my sights on the Be@rtooths due to its close proximity and ample amount of lakes.

Unfortunately, I will be limited to day trips as we will be backpacking our two year old in and camping in our RV. I’ve combed through the internet and read FWP stocking reports. Was hoping some members on here would have some tips or suggestions for this particular area.

Thanks!

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Unfortunately, I will be limited to day trips as we will be backpacking our two year old in
Overnight backpacking can be an option. Using the WTS concept, my daughter and SIL took their two kids into the high Sierra on several backpacking trips, with the smallest in a Kelty kid pack and my SIL carrying a massive expedition pack. WTS = Willingness To Suffer. That wasn't for me. I admit that when I had small kids, we scaled back to day hiking.

MT406

Steelhead
My wife is due in a few weeks so will have a 5 month old along with our two year old on this trip so over night backcountry trips are a no go. The majority of hikes will include my oldest son and myself, while my wife watches the newborn from the RV.

We did a multi overnight trip in Canyonlands National Park over the summer which went great, just too much with a 5 month old in tow.

His sweet sleeping bag. IMG_0033.jpeg

FishyJere

Nee Jerry Metcalf
Forum Supporter
I found a place in the Uintas (Utah), that had a parking lot at 10,000 feet. I could hike in a couple of miles to a lake and camp with a first grader and third grader. Very little elevation change in the hike so I was the mule. The older (boy) carried all the bed rolls and some sleeping bags. Lot of volume but not much weight. The little one (girl) carried personal clothes in her school backpack. We made out quite well staying 2 or 3 nights. They still have vivid memories. I had back surgery but I'm better now.

The trick was to find an access up high in an area with some lakes, and no passes to cross.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My wife has graciously agreed to go on a week long fishing road trip for the first week of July. We usually make the short drive to the Madison every year and catch the Salmon fly hatch, but I’ve been growing tired of the crowds. I’ve gained an interest in Stillwater fishing lately, especially high alpine lakes. I’m aiming my sights on the Be@rtooths due to its close proximity and ample amount of lakes.

Unfortunately, I will be limited to day trips as we will be backpacking our two year old in and camping in our RV. I’ve combed through the internet and read FWP stocking reports. Was hoping some members on here would have some tips or suggestions for this particular area.

Thanks!
You might want to pick up a book or two on fishing the Beartooths by Pat Marcuson. They're older publications but give good detail.
Oh, and make sure you have some good 'skeeter' repellent along.

Thanks!
The first week in July is a little early most years, although with our meager snow so far it may be all right this year.

The first week in July is a little early most years, although with our meager snow so far it may be all right this year.
I should add that some of the lakes near the top of the Beartooth Highway involve very little elevation gain. Some of the high lakes have a lot of small brookies in them. They're all beautiful.

MT406

Steelhead
Have a season pass to Big Sky. Went out on New Years, vegetation & rocks still protruding through the snow base. Worse snowpack I’ve seen in a long time. Hoping for more snow.
IMG_7646.png