Mt Adams area suggestions (part 2)

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My wife and I enjoyed our Getaway to the area back in April so much, we're headed back for a couple nights next week. April was great, but a bit early with many of the higher areas still closed.

Guessing options not a problem now. I want to do some fishing but kinda torn between hiking/creekin' and the proximity of salmon/steelhead in a nearby river. The latter being particularly tempting.

I know steelhead should be the proper fly rod target, but I cant shake the idea of swinging a big, flashy marabou something for chinook through a deep run with one of my tuna rods. Last time I fished that part of the river (24 years ago) I caught 2 chinook drifting eggs (water was too murky). The small fish was 35#.

Now I want one on the fly, but I'm far more familiar FF for chinook on smaller west side rivers. So any advice regarding fall chinook FF on larger, glacial rivers would be appreciated. I'd be using a 9' 12wt rod with a heavy head. Dredging a deep pool won't be a limiting factor. I can also throw in an 8/9 with a floater or intermediate.

THAT, or I stick with the sensible plan of hikes on creeks or lakes with easy bank access. So open to some ideas there as well. Assuming simple stuff like EHC's, Adams, hares ears, olive buggers, etc...

DM's are fine and I'll even sign a NDA if needed ;) .

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like the idea of kings out of that river, but not sure when you are going. It will probably be better in a couple weeks. Also, the river clarity has been an issue. Looks like after today's rain it gets nice and mellow and down into the 40s at night after Sunday. That water should clear up.

Sounds like the steelheading has been decent as well. Of course, way more kings coming up than steelies, but we know which one usually bites better. ;)

If you do decide to go at the kings, I have been told this is a productive fly (2/0) on that particular river. Good luck and can't wait for the report!

20230831_122049.jpg

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like the idea of kings out of that river, but not sure when you are going. It will probably be better in a couple weeks. Also, the river clarity has been an issue. Looks like after today's rain it gets nice and mellow and down into the 40s at night after Sunday. That water should clear up.

Sounds like the steelheading has been decent as well. Of course, way more kings coming up than steelies, but we know which one usually bites better. ;)

If you do decide to go at the kings, I have been told this is a productive fly (2/0) on that particular river. Good luck and can't wait for the report!

View attachment 80241
Three days. Next Wed and Thurs nights. Heading home Friday afternoon.

Yeah, seems a bit early for chinook in the upper river, but it's so close to where we're staying I almost can't resist trying. I should probably dust off my drift rod and scrounge up some huevo's in case it's murky. I know I'll regret not taking a steelhead rod if it's running relatively clear.

Hard to go wrong with black and green for chinook. I assume the preferred technique would be swinging deep, quartering downstream. Ideally in a spot where the fly would hang, or at least linger in a seam. Short leader on a 600gr head should put a fly deep into Nookyville no problem... maybe too deep?

Thanks!

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Three days. Next Wed and Thurs nights. Heading home Friday afternoon.

Yeah, seems a bit early for chinook in the upper river, but it's so close to where we're staying I almost can't resist trying. I should probably dust off my drift rod and scrounge up some huevo's in case it's murky. I know I'll regret not taking a steelhead rod if it's running relatively clear.

Hard to go wrong with black and green for chinook. I assume the preferred technique would be swinging deep, quartering downstream. Ideally in a spot where the fly would hang, or at least linger in a seam. Short leader on a 600gr head should put a fly deep into Nookyville no problem... maybe too deep?

Thanks!
Yeah, swung deep and, if possible, hung in a productive spot. I have found that kings really like a fly that is stripped right up past them as well. Always a risk of hooking one in the prop, which is an automatic loss of fly, but they do respond well to stripping right up the bucket.
I like orange if it really clears up.
And yes, I would pack that steelie rod just in case! I hope to get out there in October for steelies. We'll see.