SFR Moving to Reno

Sorta fishing-related

Skol_Engh

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Moving to Reno for work after I graduate from my Masters's program. I'll be working for the state doing abandoned mine closures. Gunnison and South Western Colorado have treated me well and I'm sad to move away from these rivers I've gotten to know well. However! I am incredibly excited about exploring a new state, rivers, ski resorts, lakes etc. Obviously, Pyramid Lake is pretty famous but I am also stoked to explore the Truckee and have a fishable urban river in town. Eastern California has seemingly endless rivers to explore. I also want to check out the Sacramento area. Kirkwood, Heavenly, and Palisades look incredible for skiing. If anyone knows the Reno/Tahoe area and has any advice to offer, let me know! Which ladder should I buy for pyramid lake?? haha.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Moving to Reno for work after I graduate from my Masters's program. I'll be working for the state doing abandoned mine closures. Gunnison and South Western Colorado have treated me well and I'm sad to move away from these rivers I've gotten to know well. However! I am incredibly excited about exploring a new state, rivers, ski resorts, lakes etc. Obviously, Pyramid Lake is pretty famous but I am also stoked to explore the Truckee and have a fishable urban river in town. Eastern California has seemingly endless rivers to explore. I also want to check out the Sacramento area. Kirkwood, Heavenly, and Palisades look incredible for skiing. If anyone knows the Reno/Tahoe area and has any advice to offer, let me know! Which ladder should I buy for pyramid lake?? haha.
Lmk if you need an off-road partner when it come time to check out abandoned mines…especially within a reasonable distance to a trout river or stream

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
well done on the masters! Endless fishing on the east north and south.
Season pass snowboarder at Kirkwood for three decades...awesome terrain.
There are plenty of flyfishing books on Amazon and Thriftbooks.com detailing the almost endless fishing opportunities fon the east side, with maps and trails.
A couple (from many on the east side) of personal faves...
East Walker to the south near Bridgeport, big browns on tap, Bridgeport Reservoir has monster browns in it, and lotta fun creeks and smaller float tube lakes to the west. And if in the area for a few days, run over to the White Mountains (dolomite scree covered slopes) to the east, home of the Bristle Cone pine trees, awesome terrain
Butt Valley Reservoir to the north, big bows on the prowl (fish the finger by the penstock outflow) , nearby Yellow Creek a fine technical fishery, lotta other spots in the area.
You're gonna have a ball.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Sounds like you have it all figured out. Reminds me of when I was applying for grad school. I was talking to people before they let us in for the GMAT. Everyone was talking top 20 schools, etc. I said I was applying where there was good mountain biking and rock climbing, and had to check in the mirror to see if I'd grown horns or a third head the way they looked at me.

Congrats, and have fun

Skol_Engh

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
East Walker to the south near Bridgeport, big browns on tap, Bridgeport Reservoir has monster browns in it, and lotta fun creeks and smaller float tube lakes to the west. And if in the area for a few days, run over to the White Mountains (dolomite scree covered slopes) to the east, home of the Bristle Cone pine trees, awesome terrain
Butt Valley Reservoir to the north, big bows on the prowl (fish the finger by the penstock outflow) , nearby Yellow Creek a fine technical fishery, lotta other spots in the area.
You're gonna have a ball.
Kirkwood is high on the list. I might have to get a epic and an Ikon pass for next year just to figure things out. I'll holler at you if I end up at Kirkwood next season. Also on the list, backpacking in the Sierra's to track down some goldens. Thanks for the Intel! Super helpful.

Tallguy

Steelhead
Kirkwood is far, especially in bad weather. Just ski mt rose first year, you'll have plenty of fun. Leave Tahoe to bay area.

Lived in verdi for 7 years. Loved it, wish my job could have worked out better there. All my favorite fishing and life spots there haven't been mentioned (except the Truckee), maybe you will find some of them. Sierras have awesome fishing, there are still real spots with real fish out there. Read everything Ralph Cutter wrote anywhere.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I am 25 years into a 1 year plan of being a ski bum in Truckee, just to the west. Happy to help with fishing info over the pm’s. Can’t help with the ladder question at the ‘Mid though…

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Good luck, Peter! Well done on your degree. A few fishing reports are expected.