Mousing with a two hander

Do any of you mouse with a two hander? I have a Scout head on my TR2 3wt Trout Spey and need to know what tips or leader to use for mouse.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Do any of you mouse with a two hander? I have a Scout head on my TR2 3wt Trout Spey and need to know what tips or leader to use for mouse.

I don't do this but I would imagine a floating versileader would be best to get good turnover on a bulky wind resistant fly like a mouse.

Tallguy

Steelhead
I have done a little mousing for brown trout, mostly at dusk and nighttime, although I am no expert. I would be slightly concerned about accuracy, good mousing might be best pounding the bank with the mouse. Are you accurate enough as a single hander might be?

Other than that, go with a heavy short leader, assuming you have enough weight in your head.

Triploidjunkie

Life of the Party
I have done a little mousing for brown trout, mostly at dusk and nighttime, although I am no expert. I would be slightly concerned about accuracy, good mousing might be best pounding the bank with the mouse. Are you accurate enough as a single gander might be?

Other than that, go with a heavy short leader, assuming you have enough weight in your head.
This^^^. Accuracy is key, at least when I do it. If you're just swinging it across a river in full daylight, I guess you could use a two hand rod. I only started using mice for trout last year, but have been using them for bass forever. You want that thing to look like it just came off shore, so within an inch or two.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I saw a guy using his switch rod with a mouse on Battle Creek in Alaska...he caught fish...

kmudgn

Steelhead
I mouse frequently in summer evenings for Browns here in New England. I use my 6 wt Sage, or 7 Wt Bamboo to throw the fly. Accuracy and finesse are not required. In fact, it is the "plop" of the big fly hitting the water and the gurgle as it is pulled along that attracts the fish. I have also taken Rainbows in AK using the same technique. Tossing mice is NOT like trying to lay down a # 22 Elk Hair to skittish cuts.
Sometimes we fly fishers overthink !

Good comments and appreciated. I just want to be sure I can turn the furry bastard over on cast with my Scout two hander

RCF

Life of the Party
Comments about dusk or later are right on. If you can find a rock wall, bang the mouse against it and let it splash into the water. Then Hang-On!!!

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Toss up or near bank. Make a splash and some jerk type strips. Depending on distance you can also flop the rod (lack of better word) make the mouse jump a bit on the water. My experience it will be a violent strike and usually a trout of decent size. 6-7 weight. Floater and 4-6 foot leader. Everyone is different. Main thing is make a disturbance on the water. 😉

Last edited:

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
Roping cutts on mice is cool.

AF5660ED-E60E-48F0-9730-11B1E35787F1_zpschgtanfq.jpg