NFR Mother F'in Hitchhikers...

Non-fishing related

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
... of the flea sort.

As many may know, we have pups, we've always had pups, usually 2 to 3, and never, and I mean NEVER, had a flea problem, until now. Had them with cats, but not dogs. We treat our pups with Advantix, usually only once or twice a season (last time was about a month ago) and never had a tick or flea issue. Now here, fleas!!! Not sure where they picked them up, the previous owner left our new home in somewhat of a disgraceful state of uncleanliness, they had an old dog that from what the neighbors say, was not particularly well cared for, so its entirely possible the little Mother Effers were left behind.

Anyways, any suggestions - have sprayed both pups with Adams flea and Tick, will treat again with Avantix tomorrow. What do you do to protect your best fishin' buds from hitchhikers.

Cheers

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Bomb your house and go fishing for a couple/few days (google flea gestation period). Then bomb the house again to kill the newborns. After a few hours (or the next day) you’re good to go. That gets the house flea free, but the yard may need attention too.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
I don't think I'd do DE powder either as it can cause respiratory problems.
I have used it outside on the lawn - clears out ants and Box Elder Bug adults/nymphs/larvae. I apply it carefully and never let the dog out until it had settled for a couple hours. I wouldn't use it indoors, however (read: vacuum cleaner spreading dust particulate).

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
The best method I have found for getting fleas off an infested dog (I realize this may not be your entire problem), is washing with Dawn liquid dish soap. This was recommended to me by a vet as cheaper and as effective as any flea shampoo. Man, did those dead fleas come washing off in the rinse!
The best method I have found for getting fleas off an infested dog (I realize this may not be your entire problem), is washing with Dawn liquid dish soap. This was recommended to me by a vet as cheaper and as effective as any flea shampoo. Man, did those dead fleas come washing off in the rinse!
The wetting agent in Dawn effectively suffocates a lot of different insect pests - I've used it against both Aphids and the aforementioned Box Elder Bugs to good effect.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
The wetting agent in Dawn effectively suffocates a lot of different insect pests - I've used it against both Aphids and the aforementioned Box Elder Bugs to good effect.
Old school. We don't have a dishwasher so the dawn dish water goes on the roses and other flowers if needed, just like grandma. Usually the lady bugs will get them though so I have to be careful.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
... of the flea sort.

As many may know, we have pups, we've always had pups, usually 2 to 3, and never, and I mean NEVER, had a flea problem, until now. Had them with cats, but not dogs. We treat our pups with Advantix, usually only once or twice a season (last time was about a month ago) and never had a tick or flea issue. Now here, fleas!!! Not sure where they picked them up, the previous owner left our new home in somewhat of a disgraceful state of uncleanliness, they had an old dog that from what the neighbors say, was not particularly well cared for, so its entirely possible the little Mother Effers were left behind.

Anyways, any suggestions - have sprayed both pups with Adams flea and Tick, will treat again with Avantix tomorrow. What do you do to protect your best fishin' buds from hitchhikers.

Cheers

Try Bravecto. It's big gun stuff. I only apply during the warmer months as I view it as serious chem/medicine. Believe it or not immunities develop in pests and products like frontline are virtually useless. Once highly effective, now basically chemical without benefit.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Try Bravecto. It's big gun stuff. I only apply during the warmer months as I view it as serious chem/medicine. Believe it or not immunities develop in pests and products like frontline are virtually useless. Once highly effective, now basically chemical without benefit.
We do the same thing. One treat they like to eat and good to go for three months.