Morrish Mouse Help

Joe M

Smolt
I've tied up a bunch of Morrish Mouse flies for bass fishing. They work great, but about 30% of the time, they hit the water upside down. Not sure if this is the result of user error, design malfunction or a normal thing for this pattern. Input on correcting any of these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've tied up a bunch of Morrish Mouse flies for bass fishing. They work great, but about 30% of the time, they hit the water upside down. Not sure if this is the result of user error, design malfunction or a normal thing for this pattern. Input on correcting any of these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
What hook are you using? Could it be to light so its not keeling correctly? Possibly tie some lead on the hook bend?

Joe M

Smolt
I'm using Daiichi 2770 Specialty Hooks. Listed as for use with "Deer Hair Bass Bugs, Divers, Frogs & Mice."

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm using Daiichi 2770 Specialty Hooks. Listed as for use with "Deer Hair Bass Bugs, Divers, Frogs & Mice."

I'm not familiar, but I'm sure theyre fine.
The other thing I do, is tie a swivel on my leader so they don't helicopter on me. Not sure if that helps wither. But generally speaking my mice land right side up (and they're morrish mice as well).

Maybe try adding some weight to the bend?

Last edited:

kmudgn

Steelhead
I have the same issue with my deer hair mice. I would often get a hit, but no hookup because the hook was not contacted by the fish. Adding weight to the hook, adding a heavy weight mono strand as weed barrier, and using foam which is wider than shown in most books was helpful. Now, I just tie up plain foam mice. I know its "cheating" and they don't look very real, but the fish don't seem to care and it only takes a few minutes to tie. My old spun deer trimmed mouse flies would take a long time to tie up.