Morning in an ice bucket

I'm a few weeks away from finishing grad school and haven't had much time to get out on the water for the past few months. A last minute meeting cancellation freed up my morning so I decided to take advantage and get out on the water, weather be damned.
This time of year historically presents the difficult decision between a lowland lake or the salt (we're so fortunate to have options this time of year). The decision typically relies on whether I want to get soaked working a beach or soaked sitting in a tube. Working a beach usually sounds more appealing but today I opted for the latter and decided to push my luck at a subalpine lake that I haven't been to since last spring. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't influenced by another recent post on here about "that subalpine lake calling."

IMG_3042.jpg
The road in got a little slippery in a few spots but nothing too bad. As soon as I hit the snow I got a little worried that the lake may be iced-over. It's about a half mile hike to the put-in from the forest service road, so the only option was to load up, hit the trail, and find out.

IMG_3040.jpg
Only a bit of ice on the western edge, fortunately still able to put in at my normal spot. I've never caught more than a handful of fish here but they're always quality and the views are unbeatable for a spot that's less than an hour from home.

IMG_3033.jpg
Started with the usual woolly buggers and leeches on the full sink with no avail. At about an hour and half in I was ready to call it, as the intermittent wind and snow had it so that I couldn't feel my fingers and toes. Despite numb fingers, I managed to switch to the dry line and a prince nymph under a strike indicator to work the shallows as I kicked in. Just before pulling out, I finally hooked into a fish. Lost it. Of course I couldn't go out like that, so I spent another 30 minutes working an area near the ice shelf. Fortunately managed to find a couple players. Wish I would have put the prince nymph on sooner.

It was a tough walk out on numb feet but it sure was worth it.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have had a bucks bag in water with an ice shelf afew times , well a bunch of times actually… i remember good stuff mostly. There is nothing like tossing a fly on a half inch or so of ice skittering it back toward ya until it slide off at the edge and have a hungry fat trout grab it and tug and launch out of the water and landing on the ice to be slid off into the water again. NO to hypothermia! It was a short hour and a half. I will never do that again. My strength to fight cold has waned considerably.

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just before ice a few years ago it registered two below at the lake early morning , it was a bit chilly . That was on a pontoon boat , feet were the only problem.

I have had a bucks bag in water with an ice shelf afew times , well a bunch of times actually… i remember good stuff mostly. There is nothing like tossing a fly on a half inch or so of ice skittering it back toward ya until it slide off at the edge and have a hungry fat trout grab it and tug and launch out of the water and landing on the ice to be slid off into the water again. NO to hypothermia! It was a short hour and a half. I will never do that again. My strength to fight cold has waned considerably.
Went airborne and landed back on the ice?! I'm sure that was quite a scene. Definitely makes me want to try to brave the cold for more ice-off opportunities.