Morels

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Maybe, if I get moved in time we can do a pnwff foray...

Also a bit off topic but Costco has a dried mushrooms mix that it really good...

I am beginning to like dried mushrooms and mushrooms powders more than fresh.

Derek Young

Steelhead
We had to remove quite a few trees on our property due to mistletoe, which spreads to other trees if not cut down. The wood is still good to burn, but we had a tree service chip the branches for landscaping use. We spread it in the yard for erosion control and made paths with it, surprisingly found quite a haul of morels growing at the edges of the paths. A lot of them.

2AAB481D-3576-4C31-B190-4EB54523C54B.jpeg

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
We had to remove quite a few trees on our property due to mistletoe, which spreads to other trees if not cut down. The wood is still good to burn, but we had a tree service chip the branches for landscaping use. We spread it in the yard for erosion control and made paths with it, surprisingly found quite a haul of morels growing at the edges of the paths. A lot of them.

View attachment 47729
We used to get them in the Tri Cities after we spread new bark in the yard. It would last a year or so. Those specimens look nice!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I am beginning to like dried mushrooms and mushrooms powders more than fresh.
When I really want a lot of shroomy essence in a dish I go for a mix of both dried for the more pungent earthy notes and the fresh for the texture and subtle flavors. Best of both worlds.

Smalma

Life of the Party
Here in Western Washington, I have found 3 types of morels. The most common is the early morel, the edible morel and the narrow cap. The early morel is the one found in stands of cottonwoods which should start showing any day now in the lowlands with the higher elevations coming on later. The edible is the one we find in old apple orchards, old pastures and sometimes yards that is still a couple weeks away here in the Puget lowlands. While the narrow cap is rare here in western Washington (have only found one site that consistently provided a decent picking) it is the one folks pick in Eastern Washington in forest burns. The edible and narrow cap are by far the best though the early morel is more than acceptable. The first time eating any morel limit the consumption to just a few as some people have allergic reactions; much more common with the early than the others.

Like most of our mushrooms the picking of them has become highly competitive between the hobbyists and commercial pickers.

curt