More bamboo and wet flies

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Not as epic as Dave's trip, but enjoyable just the same. I tried a 6wt 444 SL on my Leonard 66H today. I think Steve must have build this with a Leonard blank, looks right, fishes as described in the literature I can find, and I think it's a true 6wt. The 10' taper on SL was a bit long in the 20mph wind today. Wishing I still had a Peach, I think that might be the line.
20230619_flowers.jpg
Took my two favorite boxes, hare's ears and wet flies. I forgot my hairwings on the bench.
20230619_twoboxes.jpg
Fished one of the few winged hare's ears I was happy with out of the vice last winter on the top dropper.
20230619_hewet.jpg
The march brown softhackle on the middle dropper accounted for most of the fish.
20230619_mb.jpg
and of course a beadhead hares ear anchor fly.
20230619_hebeadhed.jpg
They all worked to hook up some cute little fish.
20230619_cuties.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Great looking boxes of wets. If you limited me to one fly for all my fishing i’d pick a hares ear (dry, nymph, soft hackle, winged wet). Do i see some coachmen tucked in the corner?

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Great looking boxes of wets. If you limited me to one fly for all my fishing i’d pick a hares ear (dry, nymph, soft hackle, winged wet). Do i see some coachmen tucked in the corner?
Yes, sometimes they just want something with a white wing. Haven't used them, or the zug bugs or starling and herl much recently. Anything hare's ear, partridge and orange, and small black spiders, get picked most often as you can see. I've liked 'em simple, but I'm going to work on expanding to some of the stylish wets like you fish.

cedarslug

Steelhead
Looks like a great day!

How often do you double up (catch two fish simultaneously)? I have once with two wets, and I felt invincible. It seems like you double up a lot

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Looks like a great day!

How often do you double up (catch two fish simultaneously)? I have once with two wets, and I felt invincible. It seems like you double up a lot
Usually at least once an outing, sometimes I'll get several. Had a few triples this spring too. Often it seems like a simultaneous hookup, or else it's usually a better one, then the little ones chase for scraps and join in.

Attachments

• 20230613_triple.jpg
    20230613_triple.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 7