More Acquisitions: Two Phillipson Rods and a Silk Line

Cliff

Steelhead
It's been a banner couple of weeks for me. I got that Granger 8040 trade rod, along with two Phillipsons and a silk line. The Phillipson rods are an 8-1/2ft 5wt Pacemaker, and a 7-1/2ft 5wt Peerless. The Pacemaker is refinished so I got it for a really decent price. The Peerless might be unfished. I've been a huge fan of Granger rods for many years and I've always wanted a Phillipson. I love the whole Colorado cane history and connection between the two companies. My dad had a nice glass Phillipson when I was a kid. The Peerless is only my second impregnated rod, my other being a hefty Orvis Shooting star (Kent Lufkin's elbow is probably still smarting from casting it). My favorite rods have been the Granger 8642's, so I'm looking forward to fishing a slightly faster Pacemaker alongside them. I believe the Pacemaker was the bottom of the line, but damn, it's a Phillipson.

The silk fly line may or may not be a used Phoenix. I think it is not, but whatever it is it's in almost new condition. It's a 7WF line and it will be used with a Gene Edwards rod I bought from Ron (Dryflyphotography) a couple of years ago. So no more bamboo for me for awhile. The tap is running dry.

Cliff

Attachments

• Pacemaker 1.jpg
    Pacemaker 1.jpg
    640.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Pacemaker 2.jpg
    Pacemaker 2.jpg
    741 KB · Views: 14
  • Pacemaker 3.jpg
    Pacemaker 3.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Pacemaker.jpg
    Pacemaker.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Peerless 1.jpg
    Peerless 1.jpg
    756.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Peerless 2.jpg
    Peerless 2.jpg
    851.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Peerless 3.jpg
    Peerless 3.jpg
    713.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Peerless 4.jpg
    Peerless 4.jpg
    763.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Peerless 5.jpg
    Peerless 5.jpg
    853.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Peerless 6.jpg
    Peerless 6.jpg
    798.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Peerless.jpg
    Peerless.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Cliff

Steelhead
It's been a banner couple of weeks for me. I got that Granger trade rod, along with two Phillipsons and a silk line. The Phillipson rods are an 8-1/2ft 5wt Pacemaker, and a 7-1/2ft 5wt Peerless. The Pacemaker is refinished so I got it for a really decent price. The Peerless might be unfished. I've been a huge fan of Granger rods for many years and I've always I've always wanted a Phillipson. I love the whole Colorado cane history and connection between the two companies. My dad had a nice glass Phillipson when I was a kid. The Peerless is only my second impregnated rod, my other being a hefty Orvis Shooting star (Kent Lufkin's elbow is probably still smarting from casting it). My favorite rods have been the Granger 8642's, so I'm looking forward to fishing a slightly faster Pacemaker alongside them. I believe the Pacemaker was the bottom of the line, but damn, it's a Phillipson.

The silk fly line may or may not be a used Phoenix. I think it is not, but whatever it is it's in almost new condition. It's a 7WF line and it will be used with a Gene Edwards rod I bought from Ron (Dryflyphotograhy) a couple of years ago. So no more bamboo for me for awhile. The tap is running dry.

Cliff
The silk line: Lower right. Goes with this Edwards rod.

Attachments

• Phoenix.jpg
    Phoenix.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 16
  • untitled-5.jpg
    untitled-5.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 16

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Congrats on your new rods. The 8'6" Phillipson powerpakt is a versatile river or lake rod. Mine is rated HDH which is 6 weight but does just fine with a 5 weight or 6 weight triangle taper or 406 double taper. I used my 8'6" Phillipson last year to cast wet flies on a cutthroat beaver pond in the spring...
Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 8.05.30 PM.png

to land this brown trout in Iceland in june...

C6B65852-B464-4618-9630-7DAD39A09A17_1_105_c.jpeg

1E077A19-DCBF-4C31-9906-A45B96E3C530_1_105_c.jpeg

and to catch dinner at this small mountain lake in August...

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 8.07.46 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 8.15.49 PM.png
I own an 8' 5 weight Phillipson peerless which I used fish terrestrials in Wisconsin last July. It's a three piece so travels well. A benefit of the impregnated rods is that you don't have to worry about revarnishing or touching up the varnish when you've ticked the rod against a branch or a stone...
5EA2D34F-E64B-4F98-9303-32EC8C8713BF_1_105_c.jpeg

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
One of my very first bamboo fly rods was an 8-1/2' Phillipson Paragon, the one model that was below the Pacemaker in price. Even the Paragon was a good rod. That black and aluminum Pacemaker reel seat is one of my favorites. And as much as I thought I wanted a Paramount and Premier in the past, I found that Bill Phillipson's fancy hammer-handle cork grip on those higher grades actually hurts my hand and is miserable for me to fish. So in the end, my personal favorite Phillips's are the Pacemaker, like yours, and the PowrPakt. Excellent fishing rods.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
One of the few memories I have of my old man is his description of his elation first casting a coated braded dacron line. He'd used silk for years, and the waxing, drying, stretching, etc. led he and his cronies to drop silk like a hot rock. I can't imagine a silk line living today from the 40's or 50's, but you classic tackle guys could certainly educate me on that. I remember him pointing to pegs installed under the eaves of a small cabin near Kamloops, and explaining those pegs were used to stretch and dry silk lines after a days use each day.

I'm not defending today's proliferation of tapers, frankly it's like buying yogurt, stand at the display, who freakin' knows what you want. . But the couple old bamboo I have passed down to me cast and balance real nice with a 5 or 7 weight triangle taper on a Medalist.

I really enjoy this forum, it's cool seeing you guys enthusiastically adopt old rods and tackle, and IMHO the best thing about it is you fish them!

Cliff

Steelhead
One of the few memories I have of my old man is his description of his elation first casting a coated braded dacron line. He'd used silk for years, and the waxing, drying, stretching, etc. led he and his cronies to drop silk like a hot rock. I can't imagine a silk line living today from the 40's or 50's, but you classic tackle guys could certainly educate me on that. I remember him pointing to pegs installed under the eaves of a small cabin near Kamloops, and explaining those pegs were used to stretch and dry silk lines after a days use each day.

I'm not defending today's proliferation of tapers, frankly it's like buying yogurt, stand at the display, who freakin' knows what you want. . But the couple old bamboo I have passed down to me cast and balance real nice with a 5 or 7 weight triangle taper on a Medalist.

I really enjoy this forum, it's cool seeing you guys enthusiastically adopt old rods and tackle, and IMHO the best thing about it is you fish them!
Gus, I think it's an acquired taste. Even bamboo guys differ on silk vs. plastic. For me, the sheer joy in fishing a silk line more than makes up for hassles in maintenance, For the record, my dad and his brother both hated silk lines and were happy that more modern lines had become available.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Investing in a bank of your favorite rods is one of the safest pre retirement investments you can make with an especially high ROI because who doesn't like Grangers and Phillipson's.

Just introduce your wife to that old saying, Happy man Happy Life.

Cliff

Steelhead
Investing in a bank of your favorite rods is one of the safest pre retirement investments you can make with an especially high ROI because who doesn't like Grangers and Phillipson's.

Just introduce your wife to that old saying, Happy man Happy Life.
Works for me!