Minn Kota vs Garmin electric motors

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
At some point in the hopefully not too distant future, I want do upgrade my minn kota to a more modern model, specifically with spot lock. This is for my 16' aluminum boat I use on the Columbia for everything from smallmouth and carp to salmon trolling.

I've been looking at the Terrovas, but have noticed the Garmin stuff too. A bit spendier, but seems to be a bit more advanced. Not totally seeing what makes them worth so much more though.

Anyone here have any input?

Reactions: ffb

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Can I piggy back on this? I'm in the market as well. I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone with experience with the newer Motorguide xi3 and xi5 spot lock trolling motors.

The one advantage I saw with the Garmin motors was being able to integrate it with the Garmin fish finders/chart plotters. But I'm not convinced that is worth the $1-2k premium over the Terrova.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I installed a Minn Kota Terrova 12v on my boat late September 2023 and have been very happy with it. It has performed to the fullest of my expectations, remote works well, never a freeze or glitch whatsoever. I know @jasmillo has been very happy with his recent addition of a Terrova 24v as well.
Sorry I have no experience with the Garmin stuff to compare, I think most folks chooses the system based on how well it will integrate with their existing electronics. I glanced at the Garmin motor and the mounting method is virtually identical to Minn Kota.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I've looked at the Garmin casually online, but not too in depth and don't personally know anyone with experience with one. If you have Garmin electronics it would be pretty nifty to be able to integrate the motor with your main sonar/plotter, but I don't recall too much else in the way of useful features that the Terrova didn't do as well. The price difference is rather steep just to be able to integrate it with your sonar IMO.

Personally I've been super happy with my Terrova in the 2+ years I've owned it and would see zero reason to switch unless other models were significantly cheaper, or added features I felt would be truly useful, and so far I haven't seen either with other motors. But again, I haven't looked too deep so there could easily be something I'm missing in the features department.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I've looked at the Garmin casually online, but not too in depth and don't personally know anyone with experience with one. If you have Garmin electronics it would be pretty nifty to be able to integrate the motor with your main sonar/plotter, but I don't recall too much else in the way of useful features that the Terrova didn't do as well. The price difference is rather steep just to be able to integrate it with your sonar IMO.

Personally I've been super happy with my Terrova in the 2+ years I've owned it and would see zero reason to switch unless other models were significantly cheaper, or added features I felt would be truly useful, and so far I haven't seen either with other motors. But again, I haven't looked too deep so there could easily be something I'm missing in the features department.
Yeah I do use all garmin electronics, so why I was curious. From the sounds of it though, most rarely use those features and stick to the remote. So it doesn't seem like too much of a factor. Minn Kota integrates with humminbird electronics but again, very few bother.

Now to decide if 12v or 24 is the way. I'm thinking 12 since it's a super light weight 16' boat. And after batteries, the 24v gets a lot more spendy. Just wish I knew how big a difference each would make.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
For a 16ft light weight boat a 12v would be fine, that’s what I have for my 16ft wooden skiff.

IMG_0917_Original.jpeg

IMG_0918_Original.jpeg

@jasmillo 17ft whaler has the 24v. It’s a much heavier boat with a 115hp motor vs my 25hp. I’m sure it weighs twice as much as mine and the 24v moves it around/ hold in strong current just fine.

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Comparing the Terrova to the Garmin Force motors isn't really fair. Garmin more logically competes against the Utrex and Ulterra.

That said, my only concern would be, is Garmin in the trolling motor game for he long haul (the force was released in 2019)? I am not completely wedded to Minn Kota or Motorcraft, but I also doubt either of those companies will stop making motors or parts any time soon. For companies like Garmin and Lowrance, motors seem to be a sideline to their marine electronics business.

That said, they seem to be awesome motors.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Been running Minn Kotas on all my boats for 30 years now. All been great with the notable exception that sooner or later the Ulterra is going to need repair. But I like the ease of them so much that I put one on my new Lund last year and glad I did. So nice to be sitting at the console putting around and watching the chartplotter and being able to remotely deploy the troller.

I know a ton of guys with trolling motors. Nobody I know has a Garmin. Not sure why that is but I'd just stick with Minn Kota. And whatever you decide think real hard about a 24v 12v may be fine your your boat and application but I'd rather have more power than I need most days than to not have it when I do need it.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Unless you are concerned about weight, battery cost, or can't leave your motor/batteries on your boat when not in the water, I think 24v is always going to be better than 12v.

I have a little 12ft boat and can't leave my battery or motor in the boat due to security issues. So I'll be sticking with 12v until that aspect of my life changes.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If Garmin motors have an interface like any of their other products I would not be interested. I use many Garmin products and they work but their interface is horrible in my opinion. They just aren't intuitive and the software is clunky at best. I've never had a fancy motor but minn Kota has always been really good to me.

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
Yeah I do use all garmin electronics, so why I was curious. From the sounds of it though, most rarely use those features and stick to the remote. So it doesn't seem like too much of a factor. Minn Kota integrates with humminbird electronics but again, very few bother.

Now to decide if 12v or 24 is the way. I'm thinking 12 since it's a super light weight 16' boat. And after batteries, the 24v gets a lot more spendy. Just wish I knew how big a difference each would make.
Evan when i looked into this, the differences were minimal. The 24V has a bit more torque but the speeds were nearly identical. I'm sure the run time on the 24V would be better but the 12V would have more than enough capacity for what I'm doing....

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
When did Minn kota start to suck? I’m so behind in this stuff 😞
I have heard nothing bad about Minn Kota. They overtook motor guide 20 years ago and are still the premier motors on the market. Garmin and Lowrance are close seconds motor guide pretty far back.

I'd make my choice based on compatibility with electronics.

When I get rich I plan on getting an ultrex and upgrading my electronics to hummingbird units with forward facing sonar but I have no intention of ever fishing via video game.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I dont know much about fishing on the Columbia but my initial thought is that with use in such a large river, I'd opt for more juice if other considerations weren't gonna be a major issue.
I'll never be using it to troll in the Columbia, at least as the only power source. It's more for spot locking in back channels while casting to carp, bass, etc, or for steering while the main puts along for trolling. So it's sounding like I can get away with a 12v

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a Minn Kota Powerdrive that I bought off Craigslist. It had never been used because the owner swapped it out when he bought his boat. It is 12v and works fine for my needs. I have secure storage, but remove the battery for the convenience of trickle charging it on a Battery Tender. I use it for walleye fishing with gear, but my focus is on flyfishing, so it suits my needs. It’s on a 16 ft Smokercraft Tracer with a windshield. I fish the Columbia and only use it for downstream trolling and the battery lasts all day.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I have a Minn Kota Powerdrive that I bought off Craigslist. It had never been used because the owner swapped it out when he bought his boat. It is 12v and works fine for my needs. I have secure storage, but remove the battery for the convenience of trickle charging it on a Battery Tender. I use it for walleye fishing with gear, but my focus is on flyfishing, so it suits my needs. It’s on a 16 ft Smokercraft Tracer with a windshield. I fish the Columbia and only use it for downstream trolling and the battery lasts all day.
Yeah I have an old 12v power drive. Seems a bit weak but I am wondering if it's just a bottom of the like one from like 30yrs ago

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'll never be using it to troll in the Columbia, at least as the only power source. It's more for spot locking in back channels while casting to carp, bass, etc, or for steering while the main puts along for trolling. So it's sounding like I can get away with a 12v
It all depends on current and wind but spot lock uses a lot of battery power. IMO 12v trollers are for minimal use and stuff like a pontoon. A boat of any size (say 16ft) needs 24v.