Merwin Day of Fishing for kids with disabilities

My absolute favorite kids fishing event is fast approaching!

Originally called the Doernbecher Derby and later renamed the Merwin Special Kids Day, it is now called the Merwin Day of Fishing for kids with disabilities. This event provides an outstanding opportunity for kids that are patients of local hospitals and clinics. The kids fish in 2 of the hatchery ponds, assuring access for the kids, many of whom are wheelchair-bound. There are LOTS of fish available for the kids to catch, including some that will push 10lbs!

This year's event will be on July 13th, in the Merwin Hatchery. Parking is available at Merwin Park. The event is scheduled to run from 9AM to 1PM, but if the past is any indicator, volunteers should plan to be available around 8AM and the activity trails off around Noon.

Seeing kids with 25lb+ stringers of 5 fish is an amazing sight, but the smiles on these kids' faces is even more amazing! If you plan on helping out, prepare to have your heart tugged!

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I read the article about last year’s event. Very cool. Outings like that recharge one’s soul…at least I think so.

I also believe we touch other people’s lives in unknown ways…so good on you…who knows what sort of impact you’ll have in a kid’s life 👍