Measuring Distances App

Chadk

Life of the Party
I live in OnX for about 6 months of the year. I LOVE the new “snap to” feature for trails that are marked on the map. I’m really hoping that they are able to concoct a way to use it off trail…that’s where I really need it. They already give you the mileage on established trails but my routes aren’t always built on trails. The app has come a long way since I first started using it.

Also, there are a ton of hidden features, at least unknown features, on Google Earth. It’s possible there’s something in Google Earth that’s “hidden”. I’m about to take a class on Google Earth…maybe I’ll learn it and share.
For off trail, just have to make your own path by clicking at various points and not use the snap to feature.

Google Earth - I use it for satellite imagery and the 3 D views of there terrain. You can really get a feel for the landscape that way and look at it from every angle. Last year I used it ro identify a dozen mule deer areas and a dozen grouse areas. They grouse spots really paid off. Knew exactly where to look before I even left the house. The deer hunting was promising, but the best spots were already popular areas for other hunters. Still nice to come with a solid plan instead of blindly searching.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
For off trail, just have to make your own path by clicking at various points and not use the snap to feature.

Google Earth - I use it for satellite imagery and the 3 D views of there terrain. You can really get a feel for the landscape that way and look at it from every angle. Last year I used it ro identify a dozen mule deer areas and a dozen grouse areas. They grouse spots really paid off. Knew exactly where to look before I even left the house. The deer hunting was promising, but the best spots were already popular areas for other hunters. Still nice to come with a solid plan instead of blindly searching.
Right…I wish I could connect those points with contour the way they have made the snap to button apply contour to trails.

The new “recent imagery” feature has been an awesome new edition for planning my spring bear hunt. Keeping tabs on the snow line is really helpful.

Reactions: Zak

Chadk

Life of the Party
Right…I wish I could connect those points with contour the way they have made the snap to button apply contour to trails.

The new “recent imagery” feature has been an awesome new edition for planning my spring bear hunt. Keeping tabs on the snow line is really helpful.
Haven't tried the "recent imagery". That's on Google Earth? How recent are we talking? Is it reliable? Used to be some images would be 5 or more years old. OnX still has images that are very old and clear cuts and roads no longer match in some places.

I'd imagine that snap-to on a place with no trail could be a liability issue. "But the map said that route was good!" But I can see a "suggested route options" feature with a disclaimer. That could be useful.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Haven't tried the "recent imagery". That's on Google Earth? How recent are we talking? Is it reliable? Used to be some images would be 5 or more years old. OnX still has images that are very old and clear cuts and roads no longer match in some places.

I'd imagine that snap-to on a place with no trail could be a liability issue. "But the map said that route was good!" But I can see a "suggested route options" feature with a disclaimer. That could be useful.
The "recent imagery" feature is on OnX. It tells you the date range of the image at the bottom of the page. It updates every 14-15 days. It updated last night so the range is from March 17-31st but you can go back in time as well. The button is located on the page where you can switch the mode from 2D to 3D or hybrid etc.

I'm headed into the Frank Church to hunt bear at the end of next week. Knowing where the snow line is at is SUPER helpful. In addition to knowing where the snow line is I can see how long a hillside has been free of snow and then make a prediction on whether or not it has greened up. It's not exact or perfect up to date but if the snow was gone 4 weeks ago and it's still gone as of last week....I know I'm good to go.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
I just recently learned of a Google feature called "drone mode". It allows you to plot a course and the program flies that course on a loop automatically until you've seen it as many times as you like.

Sorry for the thread drift :)

Chadk

Life of the Party
I just recently learned of a Google feature called "drone mode". It allows you to plot a course and the program flies that course on a loop automatically until you've seen it as many times as you like.

Sorry for the thread drift :)
Interesting. I created a google 'project' with waypoints in 3D view that I can play through kinda like that.