Mayfly identification help

Adrian M

Smolt
What species and common name do you think this is? It is about 1.5-2” long. Found in the NE or more specifically southern NH, today

Attachments

• IMG_0021.png
    IMG_0021.png
    903.1 KB · Views: 16

tkww

Steelhead
Hexagenia is the genus, a.k.a a/the "hex." It's a burrower, so lakes or very slow moving waters. Around here (PNW) peak emergence is in darkness, so some people go out at night and cast to splashes they hear. I've seen a few sporadically hatch at other times of the day, but not in great numbers.

Adrian M

Smolt
Thanks guys. That's what I thought it was going to be but glad for the confirmation. Appreciate the bug guide link.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thanks guys. That's what I thought it was going to be but glad for the confirmation. Appreciate the bug guide link.

I ran into a a hex hatch on an evening canoe with my family and boy was I pissed I didn’t have my rod. The fish were launching themselves out of the water trying to get those bugs

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I know of 3 locations where this hatch comes off every year but this seems a little early. I try to catch it locally around the first week of July through August. Sounds like you have a great opportunity for some fun dry fly action.

kmudgn

Steelhead
Hex flies are one of the "go-to" hatches here in NH. The variety here generally surfaces at or around dark, but some local populations come out in mid-afternoon. The "best" tie in NH for Hex is a full yellow Mayfly pattern, size 8-10. Other New England locations have a Hex variety which is much darker and requires a two tone yellow/brown tie