Maxxon Widgeon raft?

Jellymon

Steelhead
Anyone have any experience with the Maxxon widgeon raft? I’ve been wanting a watermaster raft for fishing the Yakima River, but the almost $2000 is pretty steep. I saw the Maxxon at the local sportsmans show for $699 and it looked/felt pretty durable and well made, but I can’t help but feel that the price difference is for a reason. Thanks for any feedback!

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
Anyone have any experience with the Maxxon widgeon raft? I’ve been wanting a watermaster raft for fishing the Yakima River, but the almost $2000 is pretty steep. I saw the Maxxon at the local sportsmans show for $699 and it looked/felt pretty durable and well made, but I can’t help but feel that the price difference is for a reason. Thanks for any feedback!

Looks ok, feel durable enough for sticks and rocks? Those pinned oars WILL fail eventually and it can be very daunting while in moving water. I had solid stainless pins/axels made for mine. Oars will break now before the the pins fail.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Those pinned oars WILL fail eventually and it can be very daunting while in moving water.
I mean, a watermaster has pinned oars too, so for the purposes of @Jellymon 's comparison, I'm not sure it matters? Unless there's some significant difference between the pinned oarlocks I'm not understanding.

Jellymon

Steelhead
I noticed the oars on the Maxxon are held up what looks to be about 5” from the mount. This looks like it will create a lot of torque/twisting compared to the watermaster which looks like the oars are less than 2” from the surface of the raft. Seems like a failure point.
5B44BBF3-2A6B-49E3-ADF9-4EFDDA8E8789.png3F4305F7-9351-4756-837F-B40F50CB81E8.png

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I noticed the oars on the Maxxon are held up what looks to be about 5” from the mount. This looks like it will create a lot of torque/twisting compared to the watermaster which looks like the oars are less than 2” from the surface of the raft. Seems like a failure point.
Huh, that is odd.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have seen folks float rivers in some really strange things.
I have confidence with common sense, proper use, and preparedness that little craft will offer great times.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
You could always get aftermarket shorter pins.

....confidence with common sense, proper use, and preparedness that little craft will offer great times.

and this....^^

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
It’s probably nice to have the oar handles up off your lap.
I guess it depends on how high the seat is....maybe that's why those are longer....I dunno.

I do know though, that with my Stealth Pro, I'm not taking it down anything very gnarly at all (partially because of my own confidence in my own skill and also because of the aforementioned common sense).

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
They are local. You might give them a call and ask if you can stop by and look at one in person.
SF

DKL

Steelhead
I believe this has been around for quite some time. I have one, but got it used with a frame, and I bought it for the frame and have never used the raft. I would reach out to Dave (formerly with catchercraft) as I think they made the frame for the raft. So he should have an opinion, and I imagine it’s a favorable one.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have Maxxon 16' x 25" pontoons that have taken a beating for 12 yrs and never a patch. I like their quality.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
View attachment 102276View attachment 102275
Man, good eye - I had an oarlock failure on my Maxxon just as you alluded to.

I think I have the model just prior to the Widgeon? That model name is not familiar to me, but what I see in your screen cap looks identical.

As you suggest, the pvc is durable - no holes so far despite lots of use and rough handling. And it has survived my shitty, amateurish rowing on the Yakima, John Day, and Skagit, not to mention plenty of stillwater and a few bay bobs in the Deep South sound.

It was one of those south sound trips during which the oarlock failed. I happened to be in a spot with a bit of tide flow, so it was a little hairy, but it was a calm day and worst case I would have just had to do a walk of shame back over some private property.

There’s a plastic cylinder that fits longitudinally inside the oarlock assembly - it passes through the transversely moving piece that the oars fit onto (and holds them 5”) above the frame. The screws visible in your photo punch into that plastic cylinder and - in theory - hold it in place.

I think maybe they used too short of screws in mine or didn’t have them punched in far enough, because unbeknownst to me the plastic cylinder tore loose of them, was rotating each time I pulled the oar, and eventually twisted and torqued its way all the way out the back of the oarlock assembly. So, suddenly my oar pulled completely free.

The plastic cylinder wouldn’t stay put as I pushed in back through, at least until I kinda wedged it in there precariously with the business end of my pliers. I was able to gently row back to the launch from there.

If this had happened on the wrong part of a river, it could have been ugly. Maxxon did send me a replacement rod and replacement screws. @clarkman also kindly sent me a replacement rod or two just in case as he had extra and read my tale of woe on the old forum (I guess I watermaster has a similar design).

I still like the raft and so far would recommend it. Maxxon claimed they’d never had anyone else report the issue - I dunno about that. Just listen to weird noises from your oarlock - if I’d been watching for it I’d have seen it.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think Maxxon build good boats. I've got a pair of pontoons that are 15 years old and still going strong. I don't think I'd row anything more than a class 2 without a real frame with real oar stands.

jact55

Life of the Party
I have a catchercraft frame on a maxxon. No reservations about it, would buy another maxxon. Only had it a year, but nothing but praise on my end.

I can't speak on the oarlock situation. But the raft will nice.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I can't speak to the raft, but it sounds like others trust the raft part. I don't like the design of those tall pinned oars. I would trust the short ones like Commanders and WaterMaster. They are proven.
1707202636609.png

I have a LOT of strokes on my 2014 Commander, some in fairly heavy water and haven't had any issues. One of mine is getting a bit worn, but I don't foresee it breaking given what I know it's already endured.
Not sure if all Commanders are this way, but the screws holding the anchor/crossbar of the pin (they face the water) have worked their way out a couple turns a few times. I just tighten them once a season and they're good. They were tight the last time I checked them after a whole season.

Divad

Whitefish
They’re surprisingly durable, though always bring the extra pin kit for the oar and watch a video on how to replace it. River or lake, when they go you’re f’d.

Reactions: NRC

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
I didn’t realize the pins were such a known issue. I mean, it makes sense when you think about it. But “thinking about it” has never been my strong suit.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I think the main reason for the price difference is simply " Because they can" . They are both well made durable boats. Watermaster has been making this boat configuration for a lot longer which results in a lot more exposure but at more than twice the price they voluntarily recuse themselves from my pocket book.

If the ore pin issue concerns you then do what was previously suggested , " always bring the extra pin kit for the oar and watch a video on how to replace it"