Mauna Loa Eruption

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My wife and I drove up the saddle road this morning to get a closer look. Pretty amazing even from the road and you’re seeing just a small part of it.
Which direction is the flow going?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
NE I believe. They say no risk to populated areas at this point. It is headed towards the highway though. If they have to close it, I imagine that will be super impactful to island residents.
Yeah pretty sure that highway is where the trucks drive from the port in Hilo to get supplies to Kona and the rest of the western part of the island. @Mingo can probably elaborate if he feels inspired

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
NE I believe. They say no risk to populated areas at this point. It is headed towards the highway though. If they have to close it, I imagine that will be super impactful to island residents.
Thanks, we'll be in Kona at the end of January for 2 1/2 weeks.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter

mems

Steelhead
It erupted on my birthday. I have been on Kauai but am flying back right now. Hope to get a good view from the plane. My son and friends got some cool shots, will post when I get home. If it cuts saddle road it will take a long time to get to the Kona side.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I drove that road 4 times during our time on the island. Its the main crossroad.

Grandpa Jim

Steelhead
Amazing pics!
I read that the lava flow crossed the road to the Weather Observatory on N side of Mauna Loa yesterday.
My son and I backpacked to Mauna Loa summit crater in 1998 from trailhead originating at that Weather Observatory. 11K' to 14K' elevation at summit in 4-5 miles. Backpacked to the summit from the other side with a buddy in 1988. 5K' to 14K' in 18 miles. Trashed my hiking boots on the lava rock both times.
Surreal scenery. All the black lava rock extending to the horizon plays with your depth perception and sense of distance. Multiple small craters close to summit dropping off several hundred feet. You needed to pay attention to the trail and the rock cairns marking it. Easy to get off track and in trouble if clouds rolled in. There was a shelter next to the crater at the summit. It snowed up there on the Memorial Day weekend that my buddy and I backpacked. We were borderline hypothermic until we got into the shelter and got hot tea/food in us. The main summit crater was 500' deep and about 1 x 2 miles across. Pitch black with a few steaming vents. Close to the shelter there was an outhouse hanging over the edge of the crater. Kind of breezy when doing your business...
All gone or totally changed now...
Enjoy your time there Jason! A very unique experience.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
VOG plays hell on the lungs of many people, especially the old and young or those with asthma type issues. In 2009 I was working engineering projects at the Moanalua Medical Center on Oahu when Kona (southerly) winds blew the VOG from a minor venting directly onto Oahu, and the hospitals emergency facilities were jammed with respiratory distress patients. Can only image how bad it is for those downwind of this major venting.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
VOG plays hell on the lungs of many people, especially the old and young or those with asthma type issues. In 2009 I was working engineering projects at the Moanalua Medical Center on Oahu when Kona (southerly) winds blew the VOG from a minor venting directly onto Oahu, and the hospitals emergency facilities were jammed with respiratory distress patients. Can only image how bad it is for those downwind of this major venting.

We'll have to watch that closely as we are accompanying my 93 year old mother.

RCF

Life of the Party
Volcanoes are beautiful. Mother Nature at its best. Beauty, power, sound, earthquakes, devastating capability are some of her capabilities. No one knows for sure. If one is near one time to visit it if it is safe. Something not to be missed for sure.

Time for Mt. Rainier?

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
As

As bad as New Year’s Day…