Marshmallows and Dick Nite spoons

Mukman

Life of the Party
My experience fishing west side lakes has been almost exclusively on selective gear water. My success on "general rules" lakes has been only so-so, but admittedly, I haven't spent much time on them. Given all the nice water on the west side, I need to expand my horizons - so my question is this: do you change up your strategy for fish that see a lot of PowerBait, Mepps spinners and the sound of two stroke outboards? For instance, are chironomids going to be more successful on these lakes than say, an attractor pattern like a white bunny strip leech? Just curious if there's a need to change it up when the fish are seeing flashy things and nightcrawlers on a regular basis. Looking at the stocking numbers to acreage ratio, the general rules lakes get a lot more plants and hopefully holdovers that are getting fat that I should no longer ignore!!

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don’t change a single thing. Although early in the opener, I fish much shallower.

B

bennysbuddy

I look at the fish to acreage ratio like you do & like Ira I tend to fish shallower the first few weeks as the fish become use to the lakes temperature . unless the Cormorants are on the lake spring planted fish stay shallow. I troll Cary specials or Doc Spratleys to locate fish.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
My experience is nothing beats a worm for meat fishing. Under a bobber early day, or cloudy day, with a marshmallow slip sinker rig when the sun is high. I'm getting to the point where I can do about as well with flies as I did with powerbait (many of those deep hook too). If I'm in the canoe and flies are not working I'll troll a flatfish or dick nite for a change up.