March "Mat"ness!

Flymph

Steelhead
For a few of us who are Wrestling fans on this Forum, the NCAA Championships have been all "Penn State"! They wrapped up the title last night and are looking to make history by surpassing the all-time total points set by Iowa in 1997 with 170 points. With six out of a possible 10 kids in the finals the odds look good for accomplishing this impressive goal. In addition, Penn State has two kids in the finals that have a chance to join a very elite group of "Four-Time National Champions"! If Penn State can be lucky enough to have both of these guys join the 4-timers club they will only be the second school to have two 4-timers accomplish this feat.

Finals get under way at 4:00 this afternoon (Pacific Time) on ESPN. "Go Penn State"

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Life lessons in all sports. I played football mostly some basketball too after 14 (years of age baseball became a bit boring and lacked results for time put in….. like steelhead fishing in a way 😜 ). I did not envy wrestler’s work outs in high school or college. That was some nasty punishing work outs I witnessed. But being mostly from football some of the best O’ and D’ lineman I have played with or watched have had some type of background in competitive wrestling….. Leverage !!!!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
My son wrestled, and was really good until a knee injury. I was a cross country guy, had the work ethic but totally different mentality. The judo instructor is very excited to get the little one to join his brother soon, he's an animal. Older brother is more like me. Madness at grandmas house last weekend.
1000000078.jpg

Last edited:

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Life lessons in all sports. I played football mostly some basketball too after 14 (years of age baseball became a bit boring and lacked results for time put in….. like steelhead fishing in a way 😜 ). I did not envy wrestler’s work outs in high school or college. That was some nasty punishing work outs I witnessed. But being mostly from football some of the best O’ and D’ lineman I have played with or watched have had some type of background in competitive wrestling….. Leverage !!!!

Those wrestling Linemen tend to lead us in holding calls every season :ROFLMAO:. As soon as one of those jack wagons feels like they're getting beat they use their understanding of leverage in ways that make the yellow flags fly onto the field. However, I do love the way they compete.

My favorite football players that wrestle is our RB's and LB's. Both positions require a certain level of nasty that seems to be prevalent amongst wrestlers and they have a knack for getting into small spaces in a violent way.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
My assistant coach was a starting Defensive linemen at BYU and tells me his success at this position is mainly to the arm drag technique he learned in Wrestling!
Right…totally legal as a D-lineman…not at all legal as on O-lineman.