March Madness 2024

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
The NCAA tournament remains the best sporting event in the world....IMO.

I have spent most of my life as a college basketball junkie, but for whatever reason, I didn't watch a single minute of hoops of any kind until last Thursday. I didn't fill out a bracket or bet any games. I just watched and enjoyed the event with my youngest son who was home for Spring Break.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
No doubt, lots of movement in WA sports these days.
SF

I watched a couple of interviews with Sprinkle last weekend and he seems like a good dude and a good coach. He brought two players with him from Montana State to USU and portal recruited the rest with amazing success this past season. I am not familiar with Washington's program or culture other than they seem to have good teams from time to time. I think he will do well there.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Gonzaga will have their hands full with Purdue's 7'4" center Zach Edey.

Too bad they do not still have Chet Holmgren on the roster
Holmgren would have been a matchup nightmare. Other teams have tried drawing Edey out with not a lot of success. The B1G teams that beat Purdue this season did so from mid range and behind the arc. Turnovers have also been an issue. Both teams are well coached and familiar with one another so I expect it will be a barn burner.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Such a bummer that so many possibly memorable, great college games never happened because of the early move to the NBA by most of the top players now. A big chunk of those guys end up with mediocre and uneventful Pro careers and get heaped into the forgotten pile.

Old news I know, but these games would be insane to watch. 4th and 5th year star college players would be great. Suppose it balances one way or another, but college sports is being compromised.

Last edited:

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Holmgren would have been a matchup nightmare. Other teams have tried drawing Edey out with not a lot of success. The B1G teams that beat Purdue this season did so from mid range and behind the arc. Turnovers have also been an issue. Both teams are well coached and familiar with one another so I expect it will be a barn burner.
I have Purdue winning the round but would rather see them fall now (not that GU is any easier to deal with at the moment). I don't have either in my FF but the planet seems to have Purdue losing to UConn at the end. I also didn't take UConn for the final.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Here is a sad “ah, springtime in Northern Idaho” incident tied to the women’s tournament….

Sad, but almost expected in Idaho.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Such a bummer that so many possibly memorable, great college games never happened because of the early move to the NBA by most of the top players now. A big chunk of those guys end up with mediocre and uneventful Pro careers and get heaped into the forgotten pile.

Old news I know, but these games would be insane to watch. 4th and 5th year star college players would be great. Suppose it balances one way or another, but college sports is being compromised.
x2...one and done has seriously damaged the game, while the women's game is more enjoyable than ever, the players in for the full four years, building an extremely loyal fan base, not to mention hella good team dynamics. Been some barn burners down to the wire last few days.
Looking forward to the Washington Post article on LSU's Kim Mulkey, due to drop any day, that has her so worked up she felt compelled to attack the article before it even came out. Where there's smoke....

RCF

Life of the Party
I actually am NOT looking forward to WAPO's article on Kim Mulkey. IMHO sports is about college players, the team, camaraderie, the school, and, in some cases, the alumni.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party

My only pushback to this is...the game is as exciting as it's ever been...JMO. I also believe that a top tier college athlete's job is to get paid. I'm just glad that their method of earning brings me some personal enjoyment. :)