Making sausage in casings?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I've made sausage patties before. But has anyone made sausage/brats in casings?

I have a dietary issue that keeps me from being able to eat store bought brats. And the local butcher I used to have make them lost their lease last year and doesn't seem to be re-opening. So I was curious what it would take to make my own.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter

We get our equiptment from these guys.
Meat grinder, mixer, sausage press and casings is what we use for making links.
17 pound meat mixer, 15 pound sausage stuffer, with tubes and cleaning brush is what we use.
Meat grinder is the big deal, many options, Cabelas makes a nice one at 799.00, 1 3/4 hp is nice when grinding lots of product, and typically we make about 30 pounds at a time...then vac seal portions and freeze.

There are other places to get this stuff, but everything we got from them is high quality stuff and will last. A meat grinder of good quality and power is probably the most expensive and important item as mentioned
Everyone has their own spice and seasoning mixes, but the ones they sell are not bad.
With a well stocked spice cabinet you can make your own for pretty cheap.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
What I would love to have from those guys is this...but alas...It's a shit ton of money and I am too old to make it last the 20 years I need to make it pay off.
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I've made my own a handful of times. I started with the KitchenAid grinder attachment and it was annoying and slow but I could still make a decent sausage. My mom recently gave me a Cabela's meat grinder and it is a hundred times easy and faster. A buddy and I processed 30 pounds of beef and pork in to 3 types of sausage, 2 cased, 1 bulk.

Having enough freezer space to partially freeze/keep meat very cold is important too. I find the stuffing process to be fairly easy with 2 people and much harder with 1. Getting the right tension/fill amount takes practice but you can always manipulate with your hands to get it right before twisting off your links.

I really enjoy the process, I just wish my kitchen was better suited for that kind of work.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
There’s plenty of local spice/sausage making suppliers, we’ve a couple over here in the 509, they can get you stuff snd help you out

Russell

Steelhead
I bought one of these smokehouse chef attachments for my kitchenaid.
https://www.smokehousechef.com/the-...r-kitchenaid-mixer-plus-sausage-stuffing-kit/
I make and sometimes stuff sausage and make all my hamburger with it. It works pretty well for the amount of actual sausage making and grinding I do.
I typically vacume seal the ingredients for a few pounds of sausage or hamburger. And thaw and grind when needed rather than grinding a bunch and freezing the grind.
All the comercial grinders and stuffers are awsome but I don't process deer or large quantity so the kitchenaid works fine for me.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Here's some Spokane folks: I've used Michlitch for casings and supplies, spices etc. and such, I've used the spiceology stuff, they really hit the big time during Covid, now they distribute nationally, all have helpful knowledgable folks who can assist, especially if you've a dietary issue.. I'm sure someone in Puget Sound could help you too. Stuffing casings is fun, and it's not rocket surgery....folks the world around have done this for 2000 years.